Black/brown spots? Disease? Peacock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed these little brown/black spots on my peacock a couple days ago. And it looks like they are spreading. I have no idea what this is, or if it's something I should be concerned about. Water parameters are fine. Fish behavior is fine.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397416683.355601.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397416691.477953.jpg
You can see the spots on the anal fin, above the pectoral fin, and on the tail fin.
Is this velvet disease?

I had something similar on chins I put some prime and water treatment in a week later it is gone

In thinking it's velvet disease, never seen it before, this is a new fish. I threw in some treatment just to be safe. We'll see. The fish seems fine.

The spots I can see seem to be those black spots fish have that are harmless. ugly and not aesthetically pleasing, but harmless. If it continues to grow it cud be something else and you should worry.

Also, fish behavior?

Fish has been behaving fine. Eating well, no pinched fins, lethargy, or rapid breathing. Fish seems totally fine.

I did throw in some Paraguard just to be safe.

Looking at pictures online I'm sure it's not velvet disease, I think your right that it's just ugly skin spots. I don't mind it is a mixed peacock, but it has really cool colors. I'll check back if his condition gets worse.

Well I'm going to go with "cosmetic blemish" they haven't changed at all with Paraguard, and the fishes behavior has been perfect as well. Lame.

Yea, quality is not always easy to find.. I have an otter point with the same problem, but will try and breed it to see if I can get some w/o the the black spots

This one came out if a "mixed peacock" tank for $1.99. It had a lot if red and yellow, looked cool, but it's pretty faded now, which I understand is normal as they grow.

Oh that makes sense, I bet it does. I was wondering why they where so colorful already, that's messed up. Well I plan in taking good care of it. It still looks amazing, and I catch it all colored up at night, I expect it to turn out really well.

You can see in the photo it has really cool coloring, I love how the dorsal fin fades from red to yellow.

What's the deal with hormones? Do they show the adult colors then ? I have quite a few fish who have totally faded their colors since I brought them home. My Fusco lost all it's blue.

What's the deal with hormones? Do they show the adult colors then ? I have quite a few fish who have totally faded their colors since I brought them home. My Fusco lost all it's blue.

Hormones help stores sell their fish, especially the females. They have to e constantly fed to the fish to keep them colored up to max potential. Females will look like males.

As for the fusco, if its mature size it could be other factors in its loss of color like the presence or absence of fusco females.

I don't think there is hard facts on the extent of damage to the fish from the hormones, but for sure there are negative effects that can come up such as sterility and other health problems.

The Fusco is still under 2" luckily the fish are males for sure, that would have ticked me off if they turned out to be females.

Back
Top Bottom