black convict question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookie71384

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a male black convict that's about three inches long...my question is do black convicts go threw and major growth spurts...if so around what size do they usually go threw this?...I know a lot of cichlids go threw spurts where they look bigger everyday like oscars...do black convicts go threw them???

No males only reach about 6" or so and females 4". I have kept them many many different times and would always reach full size in about 10-12 months. That's not to say they wouldn't breed 1,000,000 times by then haha.

lol cool...thanks...its that I feed mines a lot and I mean a lot because he has a big appetite but he's kind of growing slowly

Overfeeding or power feeding is silly if your looking to increase fish size, fish can only process so much in a day. By feeding to much the new food only forces the body to expel the previous meal well before it can be properly digested. This will also cause the water conditions to deteriote quicker, giving you the opposite effect from what your original plan was...a quality pellet is important but tons of water changes will have the most dramatic effect on fish growth.

thanks for that info...I do water changes every four or five days because I have the male convict and ten tiger barbs...right now I'm feeding everybody in the tank tetra color granules...a natural color enhancer...I started my male convict on wardleys floating cichlid pellets...medium size...he seems to love it...how often and how many pellets would you suggest I feed the male convict?

Tetra and Wardley are on the very low end of food quality, I would recommend switching to a higher quality of food like New Life Spectrum, Omega One, or Hikari...in that order for the best growth and color.

I feed all my fish every other day(except fry which is twice daily) in the amount they can consume in 30-45sec. I don't supplement, add outside vitamins, or add treats like bloodworms or veggies just a staple of high quality pellets.

If your looking for optimal growth step up the water changes to every other day, always maintain the nitrate level below 5ppm.

iight cool...thanks a lot for all the info...very much appreciated...how many pellets should I give my convict every other day?

Back
Top Bottom