Black Ghost Knifefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jac1860

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been eyeing a BGK for about a week and a half. I was wondering if it would be a good tank mate with my Cichlids.

jac1860 said:
I have been eyeing a BGK for about a week and a half. I was wondering if it would be a good tank mate with my Cichlids.

What size tank and what type of cichlids do you currently have?

Any answers without that upfront information would be meaningless.

Ok here we go. I have a 65 gal tank. The Cichlids that I have are Blue Hap Morii
Bumble Bee
Kenyi
Electric Yellow Lab
Red Zebra
Golden Mbuna
Acei

I know this is a very diverse tank but what can you tell me about the BGK or even a couple of Plecos / catfish?

Thanx

Jeff

Plecos and catfish like Pictus would work, but I've lost two BGKs due to cichlid aggression. Cichlids are also messy eaters, and BGKS need cleaner-than-pristine water.

jac1860 said:
Ok here we go. I have a 65 gal tank. The Cichlids that I have are Blue Hap Morii
Bumble Bee
Kenyi
Electric Yellow Lab
Red Zebra
Golden Mbuna
Acei

I know this is a very diverse tank but what can you tell me about the BGK or even a couple of Plecos / catfish?

Thanx

Jeff

I'd avoid all the choices you mentioned at first glance. BGK's get huge, as do most species of catfish. Smaller pleco species work in a 65g, but i don't know African cichlids well enough to recommend adding a small pleco to that tank.

Back
Top Bottom