black spots on blood parrot cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arachniac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 3" blood parrot and he is getting black marks all over his head and body. He had a small black spot on his head when I got him but now there's several spots on his body. Anyone have an idea of what this might be? All the other fish (2 black convicts, 2 green terrors, a JD, Bala shark and Pictus) are fine. Tested water its fine. I'd post a pic but don't know how. Thanks in advance. There in a 75 gal.

This is typically a sign that the fish is stressed. Have you witnessed any aggression from the tank mates?

No agression issues in this tank. He has hiding spots, but I never seen him in them but once.

this is mine, used to be all brown/black but got her orange back after a few months... cant be too stressed, she breeds with another one of my blood parrots...
13zsl7b.jpg

but the color on yours in kinda bland... maybe he/she is stressed...

My goldfish got those black marks from the excessively high ammonia in my tank. Maybe it's the same. Maybe not but it's a idea.

I just added a LED airstone to the back wall of my cichlid tank yesterday. This am 3/4s of my blood parrot is now back to his normal color. Go figure.

How is your water quality, where is it at with your ammo, nitrites, nitrates?

If everything's off I would say it is pretty normal. I once saw a pic of that and thought it was a hybrid, only to find out it's normal for BPs to look like that sometimes.

How is your water quality, where is it at with your ammo, nitrites, nitrates?

If everything's off I would say it is pretty normal. I once saw a pic of that and thought it was a hybrid, only to find out it's normal for BPs to look like that sometimes.

They're all hybrids. ;)

Blood parrots go through a multitude of color morphs. Some of mine change on a daily basis. The black pretty much fades away as they mature and you're left with mostly an orange/red fish. The younger the BP, the more wild the color morphing.

Back
Top Bottom