Blackwater and African river water conditioners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gheitman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently using Tetra's Blackwater Extract and CichlidVital to condition the water and promote the health of my various dwarf cichlids from South America and my African river cichlids. I am looking at alternate solutions to see if there is anything better than what I am using now.

One of the products I am looking at is Marc Weiss Instant Amazon. Has anybody used it and what do they think of it? Is there a better product out there? All of the tanks that I am going to use this with have sponge filters so there isn't any way of adding something to the filter.

I know that CichlidVital is no longer available and would like suggestions for something to keep healthy (and encourage spawning in) the blood red jewel cichlids I am getting soon.

Will peat and driftwood work to produce the same effect? Isn't that how it's done naturally? I put a large amount of driftwood in my 75 gallon tank, and if I don't keep up with my water changes, I get that deep brown begining to form.

try using almond leaves, has same effect as driftwood, imo leaf litter looks more natural in south american tanks..

almond leaves? are you talking normal tree leaves or some type of underwater plant? sorry, it might be a stupid question but i thought i should ask.

does this help control the pH and hardness?

My tap water is quite hard and alkaline and i was interested in keeping GBRs which obviously need totally opposite water parameters.

Why almond over other tree leaves? Isn't wild almond full of arsenic? Or is that just in the nuts? Oak I believe is the notorious tree leaf with some poison in it. Kills other plants so the oak has all the local nutrients to itself. Any reason why local trees like maple and birch wouldn't work?

no clue, but i have read of folks using oak leaves b4, just make sure they are completely
dry b4 putting them in your tank. From what i have read, green leaves release some kind
of poison. not too long ago i ordered some almond leaves from an ebay seller and have been using them in my apisto & keyhole tanks to help condition the water for breeding

I've also read that dried oak leaves can be used to soften the water in a tank. I haven't tried it myself though.

I did end up getting Marc Weiss' Instant Amazon and have been using it for a couple of weeks. I haven't been able to tell if it is making a difference yet.

Back
Top Bottom