Bloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brentweld

Aquarium Advice Activist
Everyone is always talking about how worried they are of bloat. What are the best ways to avoid this and Whats the first thing you should do if you see signs of it? Just taking the extra precautions

Brentweld said:
Everyone is always talking about how worried they are of bloat. What are the best ways to avoid this and Whats the first thing you should do if you see signs of it? Just taking the extra precautions

One of the best ways to avoid bloat is too feed a high quality, low protein food like new life spectrum. Mbuna have longer intestinal tracts than most other fish, too much protein will back them up. There is debate over several other causes of bloat but diet seems to be the big factor.

Once bloat has shown its signs, it is too late. Or at least that is my experience with it. One could try to increase the temp and add epsome salt. Some add meds to the water, I tried that twice and both times failed. So i started trying to prevent it. To prevent I add epsome salt every third water change. (I change my water every 3 days) I also feed deshelled peas once a week and only feed every other day.

Brentweld said:
Is it only one feeding every other day or do you feed them twice a day every other day?

One feeding every other day. Sometimes i forget and feed more, but never more than 3 days in a row without a fasting day. Some people feed more. I have lost many fish to bloat so I am overly cautious. I had 3 confirmed female afra cobue right at breeding size and they got bloat about 2 weeks apart and died. Good fish are hard to come by around here.

Back
Top Bottom