Blood parrot and convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Haven't been here for a few months! >.<
So I got my mom an early mother's day gift. I added two convicts to her BP tank. I got them cause I want them to mate with the BPs-although it's probably too late cause the female BP laid eggs two or so months ago so I think the BPs paired up...(After four long years!)
The convicts are both male and female, the male is a bit smaller than the female BP, whom is about 3.5-4.5in, and the female convict is about two inches or so.
I'm worried that the convicts will pair up, cause then there'll be trouble, so I'm gonna start a project w/ my dad on building some territory/hiding spots. I have maybe a few months or so considering the male BP is four times as large as the male convict
So far they're getting along fine and the convicts are still a little shy.
Wish me luck! :)

I've had a breeding pair of 3" Red Points corner a breeding pair of 14" oscars during a spawn, those parrots are going to get their butts kicked of the convicts have fry. They are extremely aggressive when guarding fry. I would rehome one or the other.

Yea I know :( but right now the convicts are far to small to even try the male BP he is massive! I've heard of convict pairs taking down an Oscar during spawning, but I'm sure they were full grown.

I'm already noticing some aggression :( so it looks like I'm gonna have to take one out. The male con sometimes follows the female bp and when that happens the male BP comes chasing after him.

Even though the BP don't have teeth in the front they can get pretty nasty. They didn't even like me getting near the tank when the female laid eggs so i'm having my fingers crossed that I have lots of time to do something about it.

Dang! I read this too late! I took the female out and moved her into another tank along with about 15 of her fry.
I left about 15 with the male convict, and moved another 15 or so into a net breeder.

So here is an update.
Yesterday I took out the female convict. She is just causing too much trouble. I noticed that my male blood parrots fins have been shredded. They always get into fights. She bites him, and he slams her into wall of the tank or the gravel. She is just barely bigger than his head, so I was surprised she was winning.

It only took about ten secs before the blood parrots started going into the convicts territory and sucking up their fry, at first the male convict went into hiding (like the coward he has always been -.-), but at lathe started acting more like a dad and moving the fry under a rock to protect them.

Right now my parrots are laying eggs! :eek: but the male parrot is the one fertilizing them so no fry :( just 100 eggs that will never hatch.

Also, I moved my sword tail in with my cichlids, I had no choice; the female convict would've killed him on the spot. He's actually getting along fine with the parrots. The convict stalks sometimes but he just watches him(probably waiting to attack him). Having my fingers crossed that he'll last at least a week in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom