Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #1

Blood Parrot breeding

i have done some research on it and from what i have read is that blood parrots do constantly spawn but whether it is successful or not thats a whole other story.
Apparently it has been done but the males are not always fertile. i was just wondering if anyone has bred these fish and if so how did you do it? how many did you have? what was you m:f ratio?
i just bought one and i love it to death i may go back to the store and buy his or her friend. i believe the one at the store is a male because it was constantly trying to dig in the gravel them come up to the other one as if to lure her over to the nest.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #2

Here is what he or she looked like at the store i havent taken any new pics yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4152951645.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	74285   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3106673802.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	74286  

Old 02-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i love blood parrots they have such cute faces i know a lot of people think its wrong to breed them and some think they shouldnt even exist but come on, how can you say no to that adorable face!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Yea they are the english bull dogs of fish. I dont like the dyed or tattooed fish but selectively bred fish i dont mind. I dont think they are in pain or anything so for me its ok.
This is actually my first cichlid so im kinda excited.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrackAttack
Yea they are the english bull dogs of fish. I dont like the dyed or tattooed fish but selectively bred fish i dont mind. I dont think they are in pain or anything so for me its ok.
This is actually my first cichlid so im kinda excited.
Cool that was my first cichlid too! ^_^. Have fun trying to breed them! I wanted to breed them but you got to have male and female + decide if fertile or not. Some people get male-female from different stores cause of fertility. What size tank is he in??
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have two blood parrots myself (caesar and salad) I love them to bits I picked them up when they had/have their juvie colors still. I have to admit as caesar is changing to full color I'm kind of sad. I like their stripes. They eat from my hand and remind me so much of my old oscars personalities. (kind of like puppies)
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I really like the blood parrots as well that face is just too cute. i'm about to start a community tank and was wondering if they will do ok with the smaller fish like danios and tetras? and if i decided to add a ram down the road would they get along?

i heard they are not too aggressive, and don't really have teeth to defend themselves from bigger more aggressive fish
Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #8

50 gal. With a redtail shark and pearl gourami. The three of them swim side by side its weird. The BP stole the red tail sharks cave and the shark waits for hin to leave so he can reclaim it. The gourami and shark are left over from a crayfish extermination. The cray ate all my platies. I dont mind but hes gone now.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also they might kiss/lip lock some people say its fighting but if you have male and female after they are done "kissing" they will rub on each IMO. Mine do it it's pretty cool.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest84
I really like the blood parrots as well that face is just too cute. i'm about to start a community tank and was wondering if they will do ok with the smaller fish like danios and tetras? and if i decided to add a ram down the road would they get along?

i heard they are not too aggressive, and don't really have teeth to defend themselves from bigger more aggressive fish
I had mine with platys + guppys for a little bit and they were fine my second BP is mean though so I think it depends . Also with 2 zebra danios.

Tags
blood, breed, breeding, parrot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com