Blood Parrot fish + oscar + african cichlids, will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking of combining a small blood parrot fish with a small-medium oscar(about the same size as parrot fish) and several smaller african cichlids(would cost about $18cnd at lfs)

can it work?

It "could" work, but they would not thrive. Africans thrive in hard water with a higher pH than South Americans. Dietary requirements are also of a concern. I have personally kept blood parrots and Africans together, but it did not last. The Africans were far too aggressive over the parrots. Eventually the parrots acquired "stress spots". For long term health, do not mix.

Re: Blood Parrot fish + oscar + african cichlids, will it wo

GIMojo said:
Im thinking of combining a small blood parrot fish with a small-medium oscar(about the same size as parrot fish) and several smaller african cichlids(would cost about $18cnd at lfs)

can it work?
hybrid?

Re: Blood Parrot fish + oscar + african cichlids, will it wo

billsgates,

no i already have cichlids, im thinking of adding the parrot fish and oscar, im just checking to see if they are compattible with each other

I might be off on this, but i'd worry about smallers africans becoming oscar food & I think the oscar still has different requirements then the africans.

Now I have heard of several cases of parrots & oscars living together.

My own parrot lived with 2 SA cichlids, a keyhole cichlid & an angelfish.

of course im gunna take size into consideration.

the oscar and parrot wont be anymore than double the size of the cichlids

No, do not mix the Oscar and African Cichlids. The Oscar is a South American and requires different dietary and water requirements. When working with Africans it is best to stick with an African-only tank. There are some exceptions, but Oscars are not one of them.

are there any impressive distinctive fish that have the personality of an oscar and the looks of a parrot fish?

FW puffers look funny & i've heard many become very personable.

Granted they still couldn't be put with africans, need a tank of their own. The plus side is they really don't need that big of a tank. I'm setting up a 5 1/2gal tank to house 2.

i dont think i can have puffers. heres the thing

I ALREADY have african cichlids.

Im thinking of adding tank mates. So im wondering if the cichlids are good with the oscar, or if the cichlids are better off with a parrot fish. And if they arent good with any, what impressive looking fish with a cool personality can you recommend?

thanks

Africans should not be mixed with the Oscar or parrot so leave them in their own tank. I have never kept an oscar before so I can not attest to their behavior.

So basically you are looking for tankmates for the Africans?

ermm, i dont know them exactly, but there's pictures in the freshwater shiowcase, maybe you can try to identify them yourself?

4 of them are yellow with black strips running horizontally. umm... i believe they turn black if they're males and matured. People've said they're aggressive but they're just fine in my tank

2 of them are blueish purple. unsure of anything else

1 convict

1 gourami(he gets along fine)

1 large greyish fish i have NO IDEA what it is.

i got them from a friend, so i dont know the names. sorry

---------

got the names

Melanochromis auratus

Metriaclima estherae

the other one im completely clueles

Back
Top Bottom