Blood parrots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Surfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are these new strains? Ive never seen these colors before. Im thinking dyed but im unsure of why my lfs would be selling dyed fish, theyre very responsible.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130613_192026.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130613_192026.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 100
those are definitely dyed if its not orangeish than it is more than likely dyed i would personally never get one because that is cruel and its just supporting them when you buy it

those are definitely dyed if its not orangeish than it is more than likely dyed i would personally never get one because that is cruel and its just supporting them when you buy it

Thats what i thought, maybe it was a special order, but the practice is cruel. When i passed the tank i did a doubletake haha.

yeah they say that they know its cruel to sell them but its a demanding fish because some people just care about looks and not how it came to be. so they sell it anyway to make money

yeah they say that they know its cruel to sell them but its a demanding fish because some people just care about looks and not how it came to be. so they sell it anyway to make money

Thats not right. must be some hard times on the store if they're resorting to these fish :/

That's certainly not a shop I would patronize, I would kindly discuss the process if they're not aware and walk away never to return.

How do they dye them, what's the process?

The fish are first put into a caustic solution that strips off their protective outer slime coating. They are then dipped in dye, or injected with dyes, after which they are dipped in another chemical that irritates the flesh to stimulate re-growth of the slime coat. This method is very stressful, and has a high extremely mortality rate.

Even as much I dislike hybrids there is no living creature that should be subjected to this or any other cruel procedure so people can profit.

Last edited:
The fish are first put into a caustic solution that strips off their protective outer slime coating. They are then dipped in dye, or injected with dyes, after which they are dipped in another chemical that irritates the flesh to stimulate re-growth of the slime coat. This method is very stressful, and has a high mortality rate.

Well... I was close. o_O lol

The dyed ones all eventually return to their normal color which is some shade of orange or yellow.I saw two big parrots the other day at one of my lfs that were bright yellow (not dyed),if I had room I mightve taken them home...

That's certainly not a shop I would patronize, I would kindly discuss the process if they're not aware and walk away never to return.

Im definitely going to mention this to my manager. I have to go to this store though, i havent seen many others with such exotic healthy fish + i work here. I guarantee if i see them again though, im quitting.

Im definitely going to mention this to my manager. I have to go to this store though, i havent seen many others with such exotic healthy fish + i work here. I guarantee if i see them again though, im quitting.

It's entirely possible the management doesn't know which is why I always(I know you won't believe this) politely discus the process, if they're aware and don't care then they won't see me back. There are some who simply don't know and when properly educated will make the correct decision.

I've seen these at a few local fish stores around my area. It seems to be part of a greater trend around non-natural fish such as hybrids and glofish.

It's entirely possible the management doesn't know which is why I always(I know you won't believe this) politely discus the process, if they're aware and don't care then they won't see me back. There are some who simply don't know and when properly educated will make the correct decision.

I have a feeling they know...what fish hobbyist wouldnt? I really hope theyre just misinformed.

Also i dont like the glofish at all... although ive seen tigerbarb strains like platinum barbs that look good :)

Also i dont like the glofish at all... although ive seen tigerbarb strains like platinum barbs that look good :)

Since those are born that way being geneticly modified and not subjected to any cruel treatment I don't have a problem with them to be honest, not my cup of tea but no means are they harmful to the hobby.

If you Google "dyed fish" I am sure you will be appalled to what they are doing with fish. Really disgusting and sad creations.

I hear ya the entire practice disgusts me. I saw a Molly with a heart tattooed on its side at a fish store :banghead:that I typically don't go to and will not go to after seeing the tattooed fish. Hopefully this practice ends soon.:(

Back
Top Bottom