blood parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoodla dollas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was just wondering if a blood parrot would work in a 55 with a texas, green terror and a jack dems. they hangout on the bottom usually but would a blood parrot want to be there too? i like how they look but i wont do it if its just gonna get picked on. and i finally just got a python after 6 months of the bucket system, im not a geek but its kinda fun changing water now haha

I agree with you Hoodla, the Python makes water changes alot easier. I don't even mind doing it anymore since we got one. I

n regards to your question about Blood Parrots. First off, make sure they are not Painted. They are not painted if they are yellow or organge/red. Secondly, it's pretty much a hit or miss with regards to agression of the blood parrots. Ours are very calm and don't bully any of the fish. Others on here have had some that are mean. Mine pretty much stay towards the middle and bottom of the tank. Maybe it's because that's where their ship is. :) They have taken control of the ship. Ours will stand up for themselves, but they don't go after any other fish.

The texas cichlid is agressive and can get up to 12 inches. Choosing tank mates can be difficult because they are territorial. Ideaily you should choose other S.A. Cichlid's that are very agressive. Adding semi-aggressive fish would only cause problems. The parrot is considered a semi-agressive fish. I would not recommend this mix. From what I have read, the Jack Dempsey's are very territorial also. I don't know anything about green terror's but have read that they are also agressive. I don't know about mixing them with the Jack Demps and Texas cichlid though.

If you want to keep Blood Parrots, try semi-agressive S.A. Cichlids. Sorry to rain on your parade. :( Hope this helps.

While the Texas, Green Terror and Jack Dempsey may be able to currently get along your 55 gal tank, the Blood Parrots will not be compatible IMO under any circumstances. These three fish outmatch the BP's individually aggression wise, much less all together.
BP's are a peaceful/semi-aggressive community compatible fish who will be terrorized by these other fish.
Now as to your current fishes compatibility....
IMHO these fish will "NOT" continue to live harmoniously, especially in a 55 gal tank.
Texas Cichlid 12" aggressive, very intolerant of other fish, best kept in a species tank.
Green Terror 12" aggressive, but compatible with similar sized/dispositioned fish.
Jack Dempsey 9" aggressive/pugnacious, may be able to keep with larger aggressive fish (Green Terror likely tankmate).
The Green Terror and the Jack Dempsey togethre will need a minimum 75gal (MINIMUM!), preferably 100gal+.
I wouldn't "attempt" to keep these three together in any thing smaller than a 125-150 gal tank....
Heck! I would't attempt to keep these three fish together into maturity, period.

Just my $0.02

Back
Top Bottom