Blood Parrots and Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SB, I've just got to tell ya that Grumbo McHumbleberry is the coolest fish name I have ever heard. He's really cute BTW! :mrgreen:

SpaceButler- I love Oscars, but am very interested in the German Blue Ram. I haven't done too much research into it yet because the tank won't be setup for another 5 months. But I am definately considering an oscar.

An oscar will outgrow your 55 gallon tank... unless you want to buy another huge tank! :lol:

if the black line means that blood parrots are stressed then how do i unstress mine?? he seems to hide more than usual. also he gets into little squabbles with my male convict and i dont know how to prevent this.

Is the parrot colored? And by colored, I mean that it's red/orange or yellow? If it's still gray (juvenile), the line is normal. If it is colored, the other fish could be chasing him, stressing him out. Do a water change and at the same time add a couple extra hiding places and rearrange the decor. Depending on the size of your other fish in comparison to the parrots, he is probably being bullied. Some Blood Parrots are actually born with the black stripes or splotching. It's not as common, but it happens. If it's just a single straight line across the top of his body, it's stress. The water change will help and so will the extra hiding places. You may even want to add some more greenery.

About 8 months ago our little yellow parrot got a black line so we added 2 pieces of tall greenery, a cave, did a water change, and within a couple hours it was starting to fade, but it took about a week for it to completely disappear. When you bought him did he have a black stripe on him?

Have you tested your water? Parrots also get these marks when they are stressed by water quality. FF is totally right too, it may be that your BP is getting picked on.

he's the exact same color as the ones in severums picture,(looks just like the top one) and im not sure if he ahd a stripe when i bought him but i think he had black blotching. the stripe isnt solid its just blotchy around the top of his body. he tends to hide a lot and has his own spot by the heater behind some plastic plants and a plastic anchor, other fish leave him alone and he tolerates Mr. Pleco being around him. the parrot is the biggest fish in the tank.

Severum is correct, poor water conditions will also cause the stripe. It won't be a perfectly straight filled-in line. You may want to try doing the water change and adding hiding places and greenery. He could just be scared of the other fish and it's causing him to stress. My little yellow parrot has his own spot at the top of the tank in the corner behind a piece of greenery. He hangs out there all day long except for at feeding time.

It is possible that your parrot is lonely, I have heard that they prefer to be in pairs or even numbers. Looking at your sig though, it doesn't look like you have enough room to add any more fish to your tanks, plus the easiest way to introduce them is to buy at the same time from the same tank at the LFS. Obviously this will not be possible for you, but my parrots get along and they were not bought together. Does your parrot live with your oscars or with the convicts? How big is your parrot?

he lives with the convicts but i am considering putting him in with the oscars he is about 3-4 inches (same size as oscars)i figured he would have more room in the oscar tank, and he does squabble with the big convict in the tank. my friends parrot seems to have bonded with a rosy barb i gave him a while back.

Back
Top Bottom