Blood Red Parrot Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
My blood red parrot loves to lay eggs on all over my driftwood. They are not fertilized and eventually she always eats them however this time my texas cichlid is guarding the eggs along with her. 8O I wonder if he fertilized them?

Attachments

• parrot_fish_eggs_008_230.jpg
    parrot_fish_eggs_008_230.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 90
  • parrot_fish_eggs_007_220.jpg
    parrot_fish_eggs_007_220.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 117
  • parrot_fish_eggs_004_904.jpg
    parrot_fish_eggs_004_904.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 68
  • parrot_fish_eggs_006_209.jpg
    parrot_fish_eggs_006_209.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 102
WaterPond said:
I wonder if he fertilized them?

A cross bred cross breeding with a pure bred :p that would be interesting

A bit disgraceful actually but you know fish are just so damn promiscuous these days. 8) I doubt the eggs will amount to anything but the Texas sure is acting like a daddy :D

CAN parrot cichlids breed? or are they like other hybrids and sterile?

how do you get baby parrots? breed parrot parents? or go back the the original cross-breeding?

Most males are sterile. I believe a lot of the females are perfectly capable of breeding. I know they can breed with convicts; this is what the "jelly bean" parrot is (although some people use the term to describe regular BPs that have bee dyed). Not sure if they can breed with the Texas cichlid... I guess we'll find out LOL!

Last night all the eggs were eaten! I guess they can't breed or at least they weren't successful with attempt #1. I'll let you know if the buggers try it again.

i did a report on chimeras for biology last year. i found a site, but i guess i didn't save it. my teacher argued with me that all chimeras were sterile, but on a couple sites i found that not all of them were. i forgot the stats, but i know that some are fertile..

i kinda remember the cow one so ill tell that one. i think their called freemartins. when a cow has boy and girl twins, the genetic info gets moved around, so the twins are both sexes. though
very rare, their sometimes fertile.

Chimeric cattle are not at all rare. When a cow has twins, it is almost inevitable that anastomoses (areas of joining) develop between the fetal circulatory systems early in gestation. This leads to exchange of blood between the two fetuses. Fetal blood contains hematopoietic stem cells, and each fetus is permanently "seeded" with stem cells from its twin. The result is that both animals are hematopoietic chimeras. A variable fraction of all their cells that are derived from hematopoietic stem cells (peripheral blood cells, Kupffer cells in the liver, lymphocytes and macrophages in lymph nodes and spleen, etc) are from the twin.

Major clinical signifcance is seen when one fetus is a female and one a male. In such cases, the female fetus is exposed to hormones from the male and is masculinized. Such female cattle are called freemartins. The external genital tract of a freemartin looks like a female, although usually infantile. The degree to which the internal genital tract is masculinized varies, but typically, the vagina is very short and uterine horns are rudimentary. Pretty obviously, these animals are sterile. Freemartins are seen occasionally in other species, although much less commonly than in cattle, probably because those animals do not have the propensity seen in cattle to form vascular anastomoses among fetuses early in gestation.

Back
Top Bottom