Blue acara questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
How many people here keep these? I am after peoples' thoughts and opinions of this fish. What set-up do you keep them in. What other fish are in the tank too? Are they diggers, agressive etc? What about breeding, is it difficult?

I think QTOFFER has a pair. The rule "peaceful for a cichlid" applies. That just means they can become very nasty (or not). They love to dig and will hang in rock caves. Breeding is simple and they are apt to spawn even when other fish are present. Tankmates could include other "peaceful for a cichlid" species. Firemouths, Severum, even small Convicts.

I agree with Brian.

I've not keep them in several years now, but I enjoyed them when I did have 'em. Care and upkeep is similar to that of a convict, although there's much less attitude involved. ;)

Thanks for the input. They don't seem to be up for sale often oround here, but thought I might like to keep them for something different.

I have one with 2 Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, 1 firemouth, 1 geophagus, and 5 yoyo loaches. They are calm and love to swim in open space. They also love to eat! :D haha

Their attitude is comparable to a severum's, as in they are not known for aggression but like any cichlid, YMMV.

My brother raised them in a large aquarium, I believe it was a 125 gallon. He had them flown in and picked them up at the airport. I can remember him having lots of smooth rocks stacked high to make caves and hiding places. He kept the Acara's by themselves with no other types of fish in the tank. When they are fully grown they are stunning. They did not pick on one another and are not relentlessly aggressive like convicts.

I would guess that you have to special order these fish to make sure you get exactly what you want. My LFS sells something called a Dwarf Acara, but they do not ge them often or in many numbers.

I hope this helps. It has been years since he kept the Acaras, but I still hear stories. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom