Blue Acaras!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yay! :smilecolros:

After several months of searching - just when I was about to give up - I found them!

I purchased two Blue Acaras (Aequidens pulcher), two Jewel Cichlids (Hemichromis bimaculatus), and one Firemouth (Thorichthys meeki). They are all about 2 inches. Right now, they're in the quarrantine tank. Eventually, they will go into the 58 gal with the two Ropefish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus), the 4 inch Green Severum (Heros severus), and the 3 inch Firemouth.

My only concern is the reported aggressiveness of the jewels. The tank has lots of rocky caves and the other fish are robust species that should be able to hold their own. If things don't go well, they will probably get their own 10 gal tank.

Anyway, I'm just so happy to have finally found the Acaras!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jewels are not aggressive until later in life-IME. Post pics when you can!

Congrats on the Blue Acaras!! I remember a time when they were one of the most commonly available cichlids in pet stores...but they were surpassed in popularity by all of the other, 'newer' cichlids that were imported.

In my personal experience, Jewel Cichlids are the spawn of Satan!! Don't get me wrong....I think they're gorgeous and incredibly personable along with being incredibly easy to breed....but they have the personality of a cat being given a bath! Well....actually....my cats don't mind me giving them a bath but the hair sure sticks to my tongue! :lol: :lol: Anyway....have that 10 gallon ready to receive them!!

These poor fish endured an hour and fifteen minutes on the bus. When I got them home, they all looked identical - devoid of color except for a few stress bars. This morning, I was happy to see that they all regained their colors - so pics will be posted shortly.

Another thing, for those keeping count - there IS another 10 gal tank in my sig!
I'm out of control and someone's got to stop me!!!!
I now have a tank in every room of my 800 sq ft apartment for a total of 100 gallons.
Livingroom: 58 gal large cichlid tank and 10 gal Q-tank
Bedroon: 15 gal betta tank
Bathroom: 10 gal - may be used for dwarf cichlids like apistos.
Kitchen: 7 gal bowfront - currently empty, but may be used for rasboras and dwarf frogs

Your tank arrangement sounds about like mine - but I sure won't be the one to stop you! :D

Congrats on the acaras - those are on my short list of desired fish. I never see them anymore at the LFS. Definitely post some pics for us!

Fruitbat said:
Congrats on the Blue Acaras!! I remember a time when they were one of the most commonly available cichlids in pet stores...but they were surpassed in popularity by all of the other, 'newer' cichlids that were imported.

The guy in the lfs, who seemed very knowledgeable about cichlids, said that too. He said that people who used to buy the blue acara were now buying green terrors and Jack Dempseys because of their brighter finnage. Too bad the two latter fish are so aggressive.

Fruitbat said:
In my personal experience, Jewel Cichlids are the spawn of Satan!! Don't get me wrong....I think they're gorgeous and incredibly personable along with being incredibly easy to breed....but they have the personality of a cat being given a bath!

I've read and heard the same thing. On the other hand, I've read about gentle and reclusive jewels too. It seems that buying cichlids is a big crapshoot with regards to personality and aggression. The only reason I even considered these guys is because I have a good plan B to house them. They're really pretty fish, tho (reddish with bright blue scales) - it would have been really tough to pass them up. :wink:

Tankgirl, do you have a tank in the bathroom too? I think I've taken MTS to a new level.

i saw a blue acara at petco... but i thought it looked like the jack demsky colors and the firemouth shape... dont know if it really was the acara because everything's labeled wrong these days :evil:

Some pics!

Keep in mind, these were taken in the quarrantine tank (lousy lighting, no decorations, no substrate, no background, etc) and the fish are still acclimating, so their colors are not quite 100% yet.
The red jewel cichlids have colored up nicely since I got them. The blue acaras are starting to regain some of their color too. The firemouth has a very pale pink belly, but he kept hiding behind other fish - camera shy. :D

Once these guys go into the big tank, I will take some serious pictures!

lol urs looks quite a bit better than the one at the store. if it really was a acara

Back
Top Bottom