blue jack dempseys growing slow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbundy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i went to fish store today and they pointed out something to me that kinda got me worried. i originally purchased my 2 blue jack dempseys at about 1'' to 1.5'' at least 8 months ago. they r now only at 2 to 2.5 inch each . the sales rep at the fish store told me that was not normal and that they should be much bigger at this stage. note i only feed once a day for an average of 1minute and half. could that explain it? should i feed more perhaps twice a day. will they grow faster at that point? :cry: pls help

p.s i know they r not supposed to be in there with their tankmates but they r not agressive at all and everything has been perfect!!! i feed different micro granules and frozen bloodworms once a week or so

69g fresh water
2 blue jacks
1 red torpedo barb
2 rosy barbs
2 clown loaches
1 red rainbow
1 boesmani rainbow
1 white molly

it's a double edge sword. Feeding more can increase growth rate, but it can also cause high nitrates and stunt the growth. You would have to watch the water quality closely.

how frequently do you change water? less frequent pwc's would lead to slow growth rates.
50% once a week is ideal, both in terms of input labor and growth achieved.

So you probably have high nitrates, Cichlids require more frequent water changes to keep the nitrates lower (they have a very rich diet). Increase it to 50% every week and see what the differences are.

Back
Top Bottom