Blue ram companions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bukowski

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I have a 20g tall aquarium that is housing a pair of German blue rams. They're pretty little things, but seem to only hang out at the bottom where all the plants are. Perhaps they'll start swimming higher once the plants grow taller, but for now this tank looks fairly empty.
Does anyone have suggestions for what I should add? I don't really care, but something that will inhibit the empty spaces would be nice. Do I even have room for something else? I was thinking Rummy Nose Tetras, but I'm still unsure!

rams generally swim on the bottom half of the tank. about adding fish im unsure if you have room i would say a small school of fish but unsure im by no way n expert. hope i helped

You can fit a small school of tetras or something no problem..Rams are pretty peaceful to most fish. I've owned three and had multiple types of tetras mixed in my old tank

Rummynose will mostly stick to the bottom half of the tank just like the rams. If you want to fill the empty space toward the top, I'd suggest something like harlequin rasboras, espei rasboras, ember tetras, pristella tetras, etc. Hatchets would be another option if you wanted fish that stay almost exclusively at the surface.

Or if you're looking for something that is sort of an oddball...I don't know how this would go so (correct me if I'm wrong) but I think a pencilfish would be a great addition to that tank. :)

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking a school of zebra danios, long finned or not. We'll see.
Also, never had pencilfish! I'll have to look into those if I ever need something to stock another tank with :)

I have a shoal of Cardinal Tetras with my pair. But if you really want some danios, how about going a little unusual with some electric green glofish (which are modified danios). Like these, but just get all one color (the green ones pop out the most IMO)...
p-74138-glofish.jpg

Back
Top Bottom