Blue Ram Help/20 gallon Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Frogbit looks really cool! Does it have roots just as long as duckweed, or longer? I want it to be a really natural tank, you know? So I think I'll order some frog bit. How about that filter?

Nils

Longer roots. I just have an Aqueon HOB. I put it on one side, so I have a side with quieter water. Throwing Frogbit around will kill it.

Normally I let some stem plants grow up to the surface to help keep Frogbit to one side.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some tall bamboo plants i there that I threw in when I started the tank, probably about three. Does it grow quickly? I want to buy some off of Ebay.

Nils

I have some tall bamboo plants i there that I threw in when I started the tank, probably about three. Does it grow quickly? I want to buy some off of Ebay.

Nils

Bamboo needs to grow out of the tank. They aren't true aquatic plants. They'll rot if part can't grow above water.

So for a topless tank or one with a large gap they are ok.

Yes, my bamboo has the top leaves out of the water, but it hasn't grown at all. It's still green, so I take that as a good sign. Do I need to seed my filter first?

Nils

Yes, my bamboo has the top leaves out of the water, but it hasn't grown at all. It's still green, so I take that as a good sign. Do I need to seed my filter first?

Nils

I haven't grown bamboo. I don't know if it requires ferts or not. You can add plants anytime during a cycle. BB is not necessary for plants.

Alright cool, my mom just set up a 2.5 gallon yesterday with spring water and we let it sit a while, we added the betta this afternoon at 12. It's for my brother who is getting it for Christmas. Hopefully we did that right. I was thinking about getting some beta bulbs for my 10. Is that a good idea?

Nils

Alright cool, my mom just set up a 2.5 gallon yesterday with spring water and we let it sit a while, we added the betta this afternoon at 12. It's for my brother who is getting it for Christmas. Hopefully we did that right. I was thinking about getting some beta bulbs for my 10. Is that a good idea?

Nils

The betta bulbs I believe are 2 aponogetons and a lotus. I would skip the bulbs and just get a lotus, the aponogetons get huge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You gotta say, those plants look pretty wicked ;-). I already put the bulbs in the 2.5, so too late. My bad. Anyway, how many Cories could I add maximum? I want to have the biggest possible schools. I was thinking 10 Cories, 8 Harlequins and 2 GBRs.

Nils

The betta bulbs I believe are 2 aponogetons and a lotus. I would skip the bulbs and just get a lotus, the aponogetons get huge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I forget, 20 High or 20 Long ?
If you have a pair of GBRs they may be more territorial ?
They might get rough w Cories ??

Someone who has Rams chime in please.

I would offer several caves.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I forget, 20 High or 20 Long ?
If you have a pair of GBRs they may be more territorial ?
They might get rough w Cories ??

Someone who has Rams chime in please.

I would offer several caves.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Corys rarely sustain injuries from paired rams or apistos, usually it's a quick bump or charge and the cory is on it's way.

Caves aren't going to do much good with rams, but they will need flat stones or some other horizontal surface in case they do want to spawn.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

If they're breeding they may have a run at the corys, being that they're small armored tanks it's will not phase them.. if anything it's the parents that take the worst of it from the constant pestering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not really looking into breeding, and I wasn't really looking into slate either. Maybe that would help prevent breeding. And Coursair, it will be a 20 long. Would 10 Cories be pushing it?

Nils

My guess is that ten corys and a pair of dwarf cichlids would be pushing it in a 20 long. If the rams or apistos are a breeding pair, they will almost certainly try to breed and will be happier with fewer bottom-dwellers. I'd cut the corys back to five or six.

Alternatively, you could do a single ram or apisto and 10 corys. Be sure to provide a couple of caves for the corys.

Alright cool, I think I will just do a single male Ram and keep the Cories at 10. I have 2 Julii's and 2 Peppered now, and I want to up those to five in each group. With this stocking list, would I still be able to fit the Harlequins?

Nils

The stocking list sounds good, but you'll need to go with a Bolivian Ram. Peppered Corys are lower-temp fish and will not handle the low 80's that Blue Rams need to thrive. (Some of the Apistos will also thrive in mid/upper 70s). You could do all of what you want at around 75-77 F. Harlequins are a good choice because they are mid/upper region dwellers and will fill out your tank nicely. Get at least six, with eight being better.

Alright cool, I can probably get a Bolivian cheap at my LFS. And the Harlequins are cheap anyway. Are you sure I can't do a GBR?

Nils

Are you sure I can't do a GBR?

From what I know, Peppered Corys max out at about 79 F. That's probably the lowest temperature I'd feel comfortable keeping at GBR at. And even then, it's not optimal and their immune system will not be as strong. (And they're not hardy fish to begin with.) The breeder from which I purchased my GBRs recommends 82-84 F. I keep mine at 81, as my Rummys and Black Neons can't go much higher.

You *could* do a GBR at 79, but it may not live as long as it would under better conditions. I'd go with a Bolivian or a male Cockatoo Apisto instead. If you do decide to go the GBR route, definitely get one directly from a breeder and stay away form the genetically weaker strains (Gold, Electric Blue, etc.).

I've got my gbr tank at 80-8, a fleet of cory habrosus about a year old and some trilineus corys about the same age..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom