Blue Ram just laid eggs, what do I do?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendan

Aquarium Advice Activist
last night before I went to bed I noticed a pair of my Blue Rams acting really weird. The two of them were hovering around a bunch of Java Ferns. When I went to take a closer look I noticed that one of the leaves was littered with little pink eggs.

Being new to this, only having experience with fish reproduction through guppies, I was wondering what the best method is to take. Should I leave the leaf in the tank and hope that the two Rams can protect the eggs from the other fish? Or should I remove the leave and put it in a tank which currently has guppy fry?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Since this is the first time for both you and the fish, a number of things could happen. The eggs may not be fertilized, the fish may eat the eggs, the fish may eat the wrigglers, the wrigglers may grow up to be fry and then adults. Personally, I would leave the eggs where they are and let the parents tend to them. The parents will only get better with practice.
What other fish are in the tank?

There are two Boseman Rainbows, two Neon Rainbow, then Neons, one Otto, one Pleco, and one more Blue Ram.

I think I'm going to put the leaf with the eggs on it in a floating birthing tank, what do you think?

I would do what menagerie suggested... he really knows his stuff.
We'll pretend that was a typo :wink:
I have a fiancé, not a fiancée :twisted:

The other fish may eat the wigglers (why was I calling them wrigglers?).
I think I'm going to put the leaf with the eggs on it in a floating birthing tank, what do you think?
My only concern would be that the eggs would not get enough oxygen. I can't recall if the parent rams fan the eggs with their tails or not. I know with mouth-brooders, the eggs are constantly turned over in the mother's mouth while being aerated.

There seems to be fewer eggs now than there were when I first noticed the eggs. Could the parents be eating the eggs? I can't see anyone else eating them during the day since the Rams chase anyone that comes near.

A small percentage may make it. I would have fry bites on hand to feed the little ones, or hatch brine shrimp.

In the future, you can isolate your breeding pair, feed them well and hope for better success. Right now, I would just sit back, watch and enjoy :wink:

Back
Top Bottom