Blue Ram not a Blue Ram (White in color) Help identify!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpatz9697

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Blue Ram not a Blue Ram (White in color) Help identify! W/PICs

Hey everyone,
I just got back from Petsmart and made a very out of the blue buy. In their Blue ram tank all alone was a Ram that was white and black in color. I have never seen this before so asked what was up, They said it came in with the blue ram shipment but obviously wasn't a blue ram.
I'll post pics asap, he's acclimating now. (2 pics added.. more to come)
Cant wait to hear what you guys think, I did a very quick google search and couldn't find anything like him.;)

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 182
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Pics

Here are some better shots
Im almost certain its male(going by the ways of telling blue ram sex, pointed fins body shape and no sheen on its abdominal line/dot thing),
it has a very faint iridescent sheen like the blue ram has
also its eyes are an iridescent honey color or sheen purple

seems as though when it feels threatened it gets more black dots and lines, other wise its a very white/silver color and black/grey strips

any one have any idea what he is, I assume a ram of some kind, Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 174
That is a reallllly weird fish...uhhh... maybe juvenile keyhole cichlid...definitely not a ram.

after searching google a bit more I think it might possibly be a Bandit Cichlid (Guianacara geayi), which can get like twice the size of keyholes. :bulb: still not sure though

Based on the actual body shape rather than going off of color, I'm thinking its a type of geophagus. I bought one from my petsmart but it ended up dying after a month.

looks a bit like a Bolivian Ram that hasn't colored up to me

I think it's a German Blue Ram that hasn't colored up yet. I had a similar one but was a female with a pink belly. My male has blue and orange in him.

Back
Top Bottom