Blue Rams & Rainbow Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caribou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently planning a new 90 gal tank that I will start after the first of the year. I have all my equipment but my tank and substrate. The tank will be planted. I'd like to devote this tank to rainbow fish but would like to eventually add a pair of blue rams. Will these two species cohabitate in peace or are the rainbow fish active for the rams?

Jchillin said:
...To be sure, I checked Fishprofilesand it confirmed it.

Great site! I just wasted a ton of time playing around with it. :D While we're on the subject of rams, I was thinking about maybe getting a couple myself. There is a tank of gold rams at my lfs that are absolutely stunning. Here is my only concern. I have a 55 gal., and plan to have about 6 gouramis (2 each of gold, blue, pearl), which should be fine. I also want to have a few clown loaches to populate the bottom of the tank. Rams, if I recall, are a little timid and also hang out at the bottom of the tank. Although fishprofiles.com says the clown loaches are compatible with rams, I am just concerned that the loaches will stress out the rams since they are such active fish. Thoughts?

Oh, and sorry for hijacking the thread. I think I'll start my own on the subject as well.

They would be fine together, the only thing is that when the Rams spawn the Loaches will eat the eggs right away. The other problem is that the Clowns will outgrow that 55 gallon tank and you will need to up grade.

You could go with Striata's or Polkadots and they would be good in a 55.

Back
Top Bottom