Blue Rams and Spider Web Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fish in the picture on post 5 is a male....
You mention her in that post....You did not think that was a female did you ?
Sorry you lost your ram treat your tank with real meds ...Praziquantel is EASY ,SAFE ,and proven effective...
This is not the place to discuss medicated foods BUT I have never thought that was how I would treat a sick fish if it needed meds in an emergency situation ???
IMO the medicated food route should be more proactive and used in the 'thought' there may be an issue. Not to treat a specific one...When you are sure or losing fish it is time to medicate PROPERLY.

Praziquantel is EASY ,SAFE ,and proven effective.

I have dosed with Prazi Pro now. No one else was showing symptoms, so how do I know it worked?

The fish in the picture on post 5 is a male....
You mention her in that post....You did not think that was a female did you ?

I did think that fish was female! We got these two at the same time:

1476962592719.jpg
1476962650190.jpg

Everything about them is so different! The first is so streamlined, and (s)he has blue all the way through the dark spot. The second's fins are all so much more pointy there's hardly a comparison.

It's absolutely possible that I was wrong. The second fish is male, though, right?

This is not the place to discuss medicated foods BUT I have never thought that was how I would treat a sick fish if it needed meds in an emergency.

Think about this though. The parasites are feeding off of the fish's food in its stomach which is why it has clear poop. What better way to kill that parasite off then to medicate its food? Now if you were treating gill flukes that would be a different story but this is some sort of stomach/intestinal thing.

Think about this though. The parasites are feeding off of the fish's food in its stomach which is why it has clear poop. What better way to kill that parasite off then to medicate its food? Now if you were treating gill flukes that would be a different story but this is some sort of stomach/intestinal thing.

If the fish don't eat the food than its not working, treating the water column ensures distribution of meds. I use medicated food with new fish/qt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the fish don't eat the food than its not working, treating the water column ensures distribution of meds. I use medicated food with new fish/qt.

The op never said they weren't eating

The op never said they weren't eating
Big picture.. put it this way.. if you took a poll on how aquarist, breeders treat for parasites. The majority would lean towards treating the water column.

I would do the water myself. This way you get everyone in the tank. By doing food (unless the fish is quarantined) there is potential that one or all fish will eat more then the sick fish which may not truly help to rid the parasite. My $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The two rams in last pictures are both males.
The lower "more plump" one is a "balloon " ram...An unfortunate [and cruel IMO] genetic manipulation we have put upon these and many other poor fish.
When all other tells are out the window it is the anal fin that suggest male as it is long enough to reach the tail fin...MALE. This is only untrue as I have seen with long finned rams where real females are hard to come by anyways...

The lower "more plump" one is a "balloon " ram...An unfortunate [and cruel IMO] genetic manipulation we have put upon these and many other poor fish.

Oh my cod! I had no idea that "balloon rams" were a thing.

Is this fish suffering? He's outlived all of the other rams we've had, which isn't saying a lot at three weeks. He's very colorful and active, and he eats well.

The only reason I have a hard time getting a picture of him is because our dwarf gourami is a diva and wants to be in the pictures. Otherwise he's always checking things out.

So how can I give him a good life?

Some claim to have had normal fish life span with balloon style fish.
The only notable difference you can aide with is how slow or awkward the fish may be?
Clearly not so effected it can not live healthy but with over active and faster company it may suffer from its slowness.
Most feel 2 years is avg for rams now?
I can't say I have any older then 2 years that I have documented...

I've been researching and reviewing my own water parameters. My pH is consistently 7.4 and hardness mostly close to 9.

I currently have rabbit snails, Japanese trapdoor snails, and mystery snails in this tank. The former two are fine, but I'm realizing that the mysteries and rams aren't pH compatible.

Would you recommend that I move the mysteries (not a problem- they would be perfectly happy with the nerites and guppies) and give Stubby some company?

I'm hesitant to rehome him, but I'm also nervous about any new rams given my track record. Plus we would have to get a female, right? So instead of $8 at LFS it would be $25+ and involve shipping, which makes me extra nervous.

What are your thoughts?

The ram should be fine in that water.It will not have fertile eggs probably ,but should survive the water no biggy..
My tap source water is 7.6 pH/ 9gH/2/kh...I raise all fry in this water, but still breed in re mineralized water.
I would not suggest messing with your water so moving the snail is unnecessary IMO...

There's apparently someone on this site with a good reputation when it comes to supplying rams.

:cool:
I wonder who that is?:whistle:

IMO rams would rather be alone then with same sex of their own...
Most pairs do well but I also believe they mate and bond for life...

:cool:
I wonder who that is?:whistle:

IMO rams would rather be alone then with same sex of their own...
Most pairs do well but I also believe they mate and bond for life...
Please forgive me if I'm being obtuse.

Does that mean he'll be happy by himself? Or should I invest in a female given that the other ram who lived with him was actually not a female like I thought?

I want to give the critters we have good lives.

Your ram is probably best by himself IMO. If you can find a female with a very red belly that is smaller then him then it is a chance worth taking if you want.
But the next male GBR that enters that tank likely will be the survivor as balloons are often fragile if not just slower and more awkward then there natural counterparts...

Back
Top Bottom