Blue rams like to eat hair algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 2 small GBR two days ago. They are about 1 inch, 2 females I guess. This is the first time I have GBR and want to see how long they can live. The tank parameters are perfect for them, pH6.6, GH6, temp is 80F, well-planted, no enemy. If they live long enough, I will find a male for them.

I find they like to eat hair algae. They are bottom eaters, maybe timid, never go up to surface to eat.

They may not be used to the tank yet, which would explain why they don't go to the surface to eat. I have 8 in my 55 gallon tank and they always go to the same spot near the top of the tank when it is feeding time. They even feed off of the pellets that float on the surface of the water and make a smacking noise as they gulp down the food.

GBR's usually pair for life so if you introduce a male you will almost certainly only get one pair and the other female may be harassed to the point of her death. I would suggest introducing 2 males to the tank (if you are certain that you have 2 females).

I have never heard of them eating algae before but maybe they were just curious as to what it was.

Today, the third day, they went up to the surface. They look happy, with a fat tummy and swim together most of time. I am sure that one is female, the other is much darker, has blue spots on black stripe, and a little bit pink tummy too. So, I assume they both are females. The lfs guy said he can't tell since they are too small. But these are the only two left. The store will have more fish in stock in several weeks.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2007_0329_022628aa_156.jpg
    2007_0329_022628aa_156.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 216
  • 2007_0330_211342aa_620.jpg
    2007_0330_211342aa_620.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 2007_0330_211349aa_202.jpg
    2007_0330_211349aa_202.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 186
They are both females. Try adding a couple of males to the tank. They both look like they are getting plump with eggs and if you add two males now you may end up with two pairs. Good luck.

Oh, my god. Today's dinner time, I found the dark GBR didn't come out for dinner. It is guarding an Amazon Sword leaf. There are a hundred eggs on the leaf!

Since no male, I guess the eggs are not fertilized. What a waste I have! I should find males for them. What should I do? Remove the eggs or leave as it is?

I thought they looked like they were really close to laying. I just saw your post in the "Breeding" section and yes, you should let the female eat the eggs. They may get growth on them (fungi and bacteria) if she doesn't eat them so you may want to remove them but I would guess that the eggs turn white and you have very little if any left tomorrow night. She will most likely eat all of them.

Back
Top Bottom