Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Crowsmuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 86
Blue Rams making me crazy

Saturday 6/22 I had to tear down my 72g South American community tank, and split the fish up into 2 smaller tanks until I can repair the 72g.

This is mostly temporary.

I have, in a 14g biocube, 10 neons, 2 Otos, and my 2 German blue rams , who...just met.
I had the boy, and was given the girl.

First..the filter in this little tank..is so powerful that I have to run it only a small amount of time during the day.
To buffer it, I put in a cheap fake rock for the fish to hide around hen its running so they can get some rest

So here I am , Tuesday 6/24 .... Doing a pwc on this new tank... (Cycling using stability by seachem)

And my Rammy tries to bite me... So I look down and see this.


So now what ?

This is the BOY right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1487501788.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	182641   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2381433843.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	182644  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2484287881.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	182645  
__________________

__________________
Crowsmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
t looks like the female to me because of her really pink belly.

I think those are eggs right? Yeah, I think so? lol

I've never had rams breed before, but i'd assume you just let them do their thing. The parents will become very territorial too, so watch out for aggression.

Hopefully someone with breeding experience will chime in!
__________________

__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowsmuse View Post
Saturday 6/22 I had to tear down my 72g South American community tank, and split the fish up into 2 smaller tanks until I can repair the 72g.

This is mostly temporary.

I have, in a 14g biocube, 10 neons, 2 Otos, and my 2 German blue rams , who...just met.
I had the boy, and was given the girl.

First..the filter in this little tank..is so powerful that I have to run it only a small amount of time during the day.
To buffer it, I put in a cheap fake rock for the fish to hide around hen its running so they can get some rest

So here I am , Tuesday 6/24 .... Doing a pwc on this new tank... (Cycling using stability by seachem)

And my Rammy tries to bite me... So I look down and see this.

So now what ?

This is the BOY right?
Yes....that's your male. The front 3 spikes on the dorsal are usually a tell tale sign along with the black dot in the side.
They should be fine in the tank but watch out for tank mates. They will tear anyone who steps up a new one.
Congrats on the spawn. Hope you get some fry.
__________________
cbourg746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Crowsmuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 86
Question, does the male fertilize eggs after they are laid by rubbing on them?
Because if not then that's the girl and I watched her lay them..
Crazy rammies
__________________
Crowsmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowsmuse View Post
Question, does the male fertilize eggs after they are laid by rubbing on them?
Because if not then that's the girl and I watched her lay them..
Crazy rammies
I believe the female lays them and the male drops his sperm on top of them to fertilize.
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourg746 View Post

Yes....that's your male. The front 3 spikes on the dorsal are usually a tell tale sign along with the black dot in the side.
They should be fine in the tank but watch out for tank mates. They will tear anyone who steps up a new one.
Congrats on the spawn. Hope you get some fry.
Are you sure about it being the boy? Don't all rams have the black spot? And the belly just looks way too pink to be male to me. But I could be totally wrong!
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCommunityCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 4,203
That is defiantly a male. Their colors often times are not a good tell IME the dorsal spikes are the easiest way to tell in a good sized fish. Both will take care of the nest/fry.
__________________
TheCommunityCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
I'm thinking female, the dorsal spikes are shorter than any male ram I have had. Plus that very pink belly stands out. Females tend to have a darker appearance opposed to males IME as well, so I'm going with female.
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Darylb's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: western australia
Posts: 2,339
I have no experience with rams but could you upload a pic of your other one? Maybe then people could compare the two and you could get a proper answer I'm also interested to find out I'd love to get some one day
__________________
Darylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by George9 View Post

Are you sure about it being the boy? Don't all rams have the black spot? And the belly just looks way too pink to be male to me. But I could be totally wrong!
The first 3 dorsal spikes are much taller in males and yes, they both will have a black spot but the male does not have spangles inside the black spot.
__________________

__________________
cbourg746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue ram, blue rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.