Blue Rams making me crazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crowsmuse

Aquarium Advice Regular
Saturday 6/22 I had to tear down my 72g South American community tank, and split the fish up into 2 smaller tanks until I can repair the 72g.

This is mostly temporary.

I have, in a 14g biocube, 10 neons, 2 Otos, and my 2 German blue rams , who...just met.
I had the boy, and was given the girl.

First..the filter in this little tank..is so powerful that I have to run it only a small amount of time during the day.
To buffer it, I put in a cheap fake rock for the fish to hide around hen its running so they can get some rest

So here I am , Tuesday 6/24 .... Doing a pwc on this new tank... (Cycling using stability by seachem)

And my Rammy tries to bite me... So I look down and see this.

So now what ?

This is the BOY right?

Attachments

• image-1487501788.jpg
    image-1487501788.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 123
  • image-2381433843.jpg
    image-2381433843.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2484287881.jpg
    image-2484287881.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 122
t looks like the female to me because of her really pink belly.

I think those are eggs right? Yeah, I think so? lol

I've never had rams breed before, but i'd assume you just let them do their thing. The parents will become very territorial too, so watch out for aggression.

Hopefully someone with breeding experience will chime in!

Saturday 6/22 I had to tear down my 72g South American community tank, and split the fish up into 2 smaller tanks until I can repair the 72g.

This is mostly temporary.

I have, in a 14g biocube, 10 neons, 2 Otos, and my 2 German blue rams , who...just met.
I had the boy, and was given the girl.

First..the filter in this little tank..is so powerful that I have to run it only a small amount of time during the day.
To buffer it, I put in a cheap fake rock for the fish to hide around hen its running so they can get some rest

So here I am , Tuesday 6/24 .... Doing a pwc on this new tank... (Cycling using stability by seachem)

And my Rammy tries to bite me... So I look down and see this.

So now what ?

This is the BOY right?

Yes....that's your male. The front 3 spikes on the dorsal are usually a tell tale sign along with the black dot in the side.
They should be fine in the tank but watch out for tank mates. They will tear anyone who steps up a new one.
Congrats on the spawn. Hope you get some fry.

Question, does the male fertilize eggs after they are laid by rubbing on them?
Because if not then that's the girl and I watched her lay them..
Crazy rammies

Question, does the male fertilize eggs after they are laid by rubbing on them?
Because if not then that's the girl and I watched her lay them..
Crazy rammies

I believe the female lays them and the male drops his sperm on top of them to fertilize.

Yes....that's your male. The front 3 spikes on the dorsal are usually a tell tale sign along with the black dot in the side.
They should be fine in the tank but watch out for tank mates. They will tear anyone who steps up a new one.
Congrats on the spawn. Hope you get some fry.

Are you sure about it being the boy? Don't all rams have the black spot? And the belly just looks way too pink to be male to me. But I could be totally wrong!

That is defiantly a male. Their colors often times are not a good tell IME the dorsal spikes are the easiest way to tell in a good sized fish. Both will take care of the nest/fry.

I'm thinking female, the dorsal spikes are shorter than any male ram I have had. Plus that very pink belly stands out. Females tend to have a darker appearance opposed to males IME as well, so I'm going with female.

I have no experience with rams but could you upload a pic of your other one? Maybe then people could compare the two and you could get a proper answer I'm also interested to find out I'd love to get some one day :)

Are you sure about it being the boy? Don't all rams have the black spot? And the belly just looks way too pink to be male to me. But I could be totally wrong!

The first 3 dorsal spikes are much taller in males and yes, they both will have a black spot but the male does not have spangles inside the black spot.

Well I can end the debate, i watched HER lay more eggs this morning... Looks like I have 2 girls lol :)

Well I can end the debate, i watched HER lay more eggs this morning... Looks like I have 2 girls lol :)

Called it! :) congrats! I'm not sure, but since there's no male, they probably won't hatch I assume. It's kind of odd that they would lay eggs at all without a male present

Oh definitely did not get them confused, rammy is HUGE.. The other new girl my friend gave me is half her size, and rammy chases her off. Seeing if I can attach a pic..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130626_131029.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130626_131029.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 79
It's the ****est thing.
It's a temporary, uncycled tank, the ph is too high, the ammonia and nitrites /nitrates are spiking as it cycles, and I jut noticed an ick spot on the smaller girl..
Not exactly prime conditions
Guess big momma rammy is happy *shrug*
I honestly thought rammy was a boy too.

It's the ****est thing.
It's a temporary, uncycled tank, the ph is too high, the ammonia and nitrites /nitrates are spiking as it cycles, and I jut noticed an ick spot on the smaller girl..
Not exactly prime conditions
Guess big momma rammy is happy *shrug*
I honestly thought rammy was a boy too.

That is super weird, but you must be doing something right :)

May I ask a silly question? Why would you put two german blues in an unbalanced, uncycled tank? It is a miracle they dropped eggs in such conditions, but still.

Back
Top Bottom