Blue rams vs German blue - any difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RoK said:
Honestly, I'm not surprised. When I went to see them on Friday, there were only like 2 or 3 actually living and they did not look very healthy. :( Rams can be pretty fragile.

yup, walked downstairs this morning to 2 more dead rams, both of which came from his store.

Now I'm down to one GBR and one bolivian, both of which are the biggest of the rams I had and they both look excellent.

I guess I need to get my water hardness and slightly high pH taken care of before I introduce more.

Sorry to hear about the losses. Will that lfs replace them? I figure if the lfs is having that problem, they should do something about it.

I believe he said they had a 15 day return policy on all freshwaters except the rams because they're so sensitive to water quality.

Ouch.... Our lfs here has a 14 day return policy, period. No matter what fish you buy. And it's rare they ask for a water sample.

exodus said:
I believe he said they had a 15 day return policy on all freshwaters except the rams because they're so sensitive to water quality.
I would be surprised if they even still have those remaining ones I saw last time. They were not in very good condition.

I think you should give the tank awhile before adding anymore rams.
Success with rams shouldn't be too hard as long as you can aquire healthy specimens, the tank is well established and water parameters (nh3, no2, no3) are kept in check. As long as it is stable, a slightly high pH should be fine.

QT'ing new fish is always a good idea too.

HTH

I plan on giving the tank awhile. After losing a few of them, that says to me that it wasnt the store I got them from but something wrong with my water.

Looks like the biggest ram of them all from a fresh shipment in Danbury will be the one to survive, so I should pull through with one very healthy guy.

As soon as I get around to adding CO2 to the tank as well, that should help bring the pH down and get it around where the rams like it.

Even though I lost a few, I guess you could say I'm gaining experience with that. So its not a total loss.

I'm not sure how far Milford is for you but there's a place that has some gorgeous, healthy-looking gold rams. I don't mean to tempt you but if you were to try them again and are willing to make the trip, I think it would be worth it.
It's actually my favorite LFS to go to. They have well-kept tanks and a nice variety of fish.

I really don't think those rams dying was your fault. They must have only been at the store a very short time and wasn't long enough to show signs of being sick. Honestly, they looked pretty bad when I went.

Well, I'm gunna end up making a trip up to my grandparents place in Wallingford this weekend, so maybe while I'm out that way I'll swing by Milford.

Whats the name of the place, again?

Back
Top Bottom