BN pleco in fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could I put a bristlenose pleco in my 10 gallon mbuna fry tank? I have 7 fry that are almost half an inch long and they will be moved once they hit an inch. I'm growing algae o. The rocks so they can nibble on it but it's all over the glass so I can barley see through it. Would I be able to put in a bn plec?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright thsnks

Is it the bio load? Or is it that the fry will bully it when the get bigger or vice versa?

Is it the bio load? Or is it that the fry will bully it when the get bigger or vice versa?

The bioload is a whole other issue, fry tanks need to be kept pristine.
The fry outgrowing the BN is doubtful and even if they do, BN's have tough skin.
The sheer size of a BN is the main issue, it would be very uncomfortable in a tank that small.
Sure if you want a BN go for it, but put it in the main tank.

Get an algae scrubber if it's that bad.

I think a scrubber would do the trick

Or you could get snails and move them into your main tank later. I think you could just scrape it off with a credit card and leave some on the bottom for them to nibble on.

Good luck on the mbunas! - Raymond

Thanks Raymond!

Using a young bnp isn't really a bad thing. I've done this many times. Buy one very small, and move it when it gets a bit larger.

Back
Top Bottom