Bolivian ram and cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TaylorAnuar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a 20g high set up for awhile now and i finally got a bolivian ram, it's probably been three or four weeks now.

image-1801452378.jpg

His name is Aries. :p
I was really excited to have him and eerything's been great. Except today an lfs FINALLY had some cherry shrimp, so i instantly buy 6 of them and go home all elated. Then i look at the shrimp and they're tiny little things. So i'm wondering if i should keep them in a breeder net for a bit.
Then i start to wonder if he would eat them regardless. So my question is; cherry shrimp and bolivian rams yea or nay?
Also if it helps any, there are four ghost shrimp in there that he's never touched.

From others advice on the forum its usually a no no...its been expressed that they altimately end up as chow for your ram..but if you want to keep some kind of shrimp with your ram,I've had success with the algae eating shrimp as they are sizably larger than cherry's..there are also other larger shrimp such as the amanno shrimp...you could put 1 cherry in with him to see if he gives it some attention..he may be attracted to the color..

Hm. I do like Amano shrimp, i just wanted to have a small colony in my community. Oh well, i think i'll take your advice and pop one in once they get a bit bigger! I'll update when i find out. Haha

Just to say I have had ghost and amano shrimp with my bolivian pair and they have been absolutely fine. I have also had mixed success with cherry shrimp in the same aquarium. I guess it is hit and miss and depends on the Bolivians temperament. My pair are very chilled. Wish you luck!

I have 5 cherry shrimp with my 3 Bolivian rams, they have been fine so far but I do have a lot of hiding places for them :)

Back
Top Bottom