Bolivian Ram: Best Impulse Buy Ever!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, I just wanted to tell you fish tank people about a Bolivian ram I got yesterday. I was at petsmart getting some stuff when I saw a surprisingly healthy Bolivian ram. I looked at all the tanks, and decided that there looked to be no disease and the only dead fish was a neon tetra. I bought the plucky little fish and drip acclimated him for 3 hours. Now he is looking good and seems to already recognise me as his feeder after 1 feeding of frozen brine shrimp. He looks fine, but if any of you have some tips on rams they would be welcome.

29 gallon community
10 gallon gertrudae rainbow W.I.P.

I'd treat him for ich (88 F for a week or so) and then for parasites. Your ram may look healthy, but I wouldn't trust appearance and especially Petsmart.

As for general advice, keep your nitrate level below 20 ppm and give the ram plenty of hiding places.

He has plenty of hiding places, and the nitrate is about 0-10 normally. I would agree about the ich and other parasites, even though my petsmart is a particularly good one.

Sent via TIE Fighter

I might get him a girlfriend from a good LFS soon :).

Sent via TIE Fighter

Congrats! That is my goal fish for later on, and in the same tank it seems if its for the 29g in your signature lol They seem like amazing fish and from what ive read, should be peaceful to other comunity fish. Be sure to let us know what you think! I cant wait to get mine, just want to make sure i have a very well established tank first

One thing ill bring up is getting another for them to pair up... Seems its hit or miss whether they will pair or just bicker back and forth. Some people get like 6 or so and wait to find a pair, then take back the others lol Maybe someone else can chime in with actual experience since this was still a grey area in my plans too

I though that mine was gonna be so hard to care for and that he would die right away, but he's great.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Back
Top Bottom