Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bolivian Ram Questions

About two weeks ago I purchased a bolivian ram (about 1 1/2"). I like him so much that i wanted another one. Was that wrong? I thought they were peaceful and preferred pairs. The second guy is about 2" and a little darker. I had the first ram for about a week tops.

When i introduced the larger ram he was hiding for a day or two then tried to make his way into the community. My smaller ram does not like this at all and chases him all over the tank every time they are close. I am newer to the hobbie but can't get enough if any can give me any info that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandBecca
About two weeks ago I purchased a bolivian ram (about 1 1/2"). I like him so much that i wanted another one. Was that wrong? I thought they were peaceful and preferred pairs. The second guy is about 2" and a little darker. I had the first ram for about a week tops.

When i introduced the larger ram he was hiding for a day or two then tried to make his way into the community. My smaller ram does not like this at all and chases him all over the tank every time they are close. I am newer to the hobbie but can't get enough if any can give me any info that would be great. Thanks in advance!
I have 2 Bolivians a m and an f. They do chase each other from time to time. Generally perfectly normal. It's about dominance right now.

Lip locking is a sign of fighting.

Have you sexed them yet?

Post pics for an ID.

JON

Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will post pics as soon as i get home, I am at work now.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

This is the 1 1/2" the one doing all the chasing and nipping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00381.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	127109  
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

this is the 2" darker ram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00383.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	127110  
Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did the exact same thing. For quite a while, the one that was in the tank first chased the new one every time he saw it. But after he established that he was dominant, they get along just fine. Now sometimes even the newer one chases him. Just be sure to make sure he isn't bullying the new one too bad. Each fish is different and if you see things getting to be too rough, then it may be a good idea to re-home one of them. Give it some time to see if things settle down.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

any ideas if they are male or female?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No idea... I think the only way to tell is by the little bump by their back bottom fin. Try googling sexing rams and see if you can find some info. I still have no idea of the gender of my two. I think they only 100% method is to actually have them breed to see if you have a male and female.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

They both look like males to me. You will have some chasing don't worry it's normal. My rams have plenty of tank mates to bump heads with from time to time. They normally just chase each other. Some times they will have a disagreement with my four angels or my four flag cichlids but never bad. They normally leave my swords, tetras , platy and guppys along.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey here is some info on sexing rams.
Quote:
The female fish is smaller than the male and have more pink pigmentation on her ventral region. If you look at the anterior region of the dorsal fin, you can see that her fin rays are less developed. It is also common for females to have a plumper body shape and more rounded edging of the tailfin. The back of the dorsal and anal fins have a more pointy edge in the male ram, and the tail fin is also more sharply edged. The male ram can be recognized on his V-shaped tail fin and the elongated second ray that is present in the dorsal fin.

Here is the rest of the article
German Blue Ram

Tags
bolivian, bolivian ram, questions, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com