Bolivian Ram Sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two BRs that are currently in the QT, and I was hoping to be able to determine their genders. They are pretty young. They're only an inch and a half long. I will post a lot of pictures. Please help me sex them.
I might also post a video.
Thank You!

Does anyone know? One has two black spots on its side, and the other has one.

In Bolivians the spots are not indicative of gender (but I am pretty sure you were just saying that so people could tell the 2 individual fish apart).
IMO, the one with 1 spot is a female and the one with 2 spots is male. :)

Just a note, I am actually fairly confident of the genders I stated, but yours still look a little young, so sexing them at that age can be a bit sketchy. :)

absolutangel04 said:
In Bolivians the spots are not indicative of gender (but I am pretty sure you were just saying that so people could tell the 2 individual fish apart).
IMO, the one with 1 spot is a female and the one with 2 spots is male. :)

Really?! I hope so! :) it may just be because they are still growing and getting color though

Yeah, its easier to tell when they are a bit older. The nice part about Bolivioans is that their color is not indicative of the gender. :) I look at the belly shape to tell mine apart. I have never been wrong about mine yet (I know because of their subsequent behavior), but its harder to tell from pictures. It owuld be nice for you though if you got a pair! :) Even if you don't want to raise fry, its really neat to see the behavior of a mated pair IMO.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, its easier to tell when they are a bit older. The nice part about Bolivioans is that their color is not indicative of the gender. :) I look at the belly shape to tell mine apart. I have never been wrong about mine yet (I know because of their subsequent behavior), but its harder to tell from pictures. It owuld be nice for you though if you got a pair! :) Even if you don't want to raise fry, its really neat to see the behavior of a mated pair IMO.

I think I will want to raise fry because Bolivians are really rare in my area.

I think they're pairing up... They were "dancing" earlier today

Sweet! My Bolivian girls have tended to be pretty picky about the men in their lives. I am glad yours are getting along. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Sweet! My Bolivian girls have tended to be pretty picky about the men in their lives. I am glad yours are getting along. :)

I only have one pair... I don't know if that makes a difference though... I noticed that the one you said was female has an ovipositor.

What do you think? I think that my female fell in love with the male... She follows him. LOL. I was trying to get them to come to the from of the tank with a net so I could take pictures. Both swam into the back corner, and the male swam in front of her and backed up, protecting her from the net. Lol

Back
Top Bottom