Bolivian ram tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just purchased 2 Bolivian rams. I put them in a tank with some dwarf neon rainbowfish and 2 gold angelfish. Are these suitable tankmates. I've seen no problems thus far. Just checking to see if anyone has opinion.

The Bolivians and angels will be no problem. They probably won't even cross paths too much since your rams will be chillin' around the bottom while your angels hang out near the top. I've never kept rainbows but I would think you'll be fine. Actually, my Bolivians don't even pay any attention to other fish besides themselves. Do you have plants or caves or other hiding places? The Bolivians will likely be territorial with each other and will much appreciate spots they can claim as their own. Mine are so funny- they each have claimed half of my 29 gallon, and they will rarely cross over to the other half, even for food. :roll: I think you will really like these guys, they are hardy and they have tons of personality. Their colors will also improve for you once they settle in. 8)

thanks

Thanks severum mama. The 2 bolivian rams do hang out more at the bottom. I've got lots of cover, but they mainly like hiding under a piece of "curio" (?) wood that I have in there. This wood makes the tank water a little bit brown, and probably lowers the pH a little, which I'm sure the rams would appreciate. I watched them feeding this morning and they just picked their way across the bottom, snatching up a piece or two whenever they saw it.

Do these Bolivian rams live much longer than blue rams? I think someone posted the other day that they live 3 years or more. The two I've got are not quite grown, but they are already larger than most blue rams I've seen.

My wood makes my water a little brown too. I'm sure they like it, but they really don't seem too picky. They have lived in my 55 gallon, my 20 gallon, and finally my 29 gallon and have thrived in every situation.

They do grow larger than blue rams. IME they max out at just over 3 inches. I used to have 4, but 2 of them died a while back within a couple weeks of each other. Since they were purchased at the same time (they were my first rams) and they were my largest ones, I can only assume they died of old age. I have heard their life expectancy is 3-4 years. Good luck with them and keep me posted- these are some of my favorite fish. I'd love to see pics if you have any. :D

pics

I'll get some pictures posted on all of my stuff once I have them awhile and they have colored-up. I just like watching rams b/c of how they move. I wonder if anyone has tried breeding the Bolivian ram with the blue ram to get a hybrid? If a fertile cross could be made...... :twisted: Anyway, I'd like to get that blue ram color into a Bolivian ram. Color X hardiness = nice fish. Actually, sometimes a cross between two related species will result in hybrid vigor, i.e., the hybrid is hardier that either of the two parents.

Hybrid vigour is when 2 varieties of the same species or bred together....all varieties of a single species have their genetic weaknesses. Ie pure bred dogs.... When you get a mutt it has hybrid viogour because it has a better genetic mix than a particular variety.

When you breed two closely related species it can be pot-luck. Ie A mule is a function animal interms of work, but it can't breed. Other interspecies crosses may produce freaks or deformed animals, or still born animals.

I suspect you would have to artificially strip these fish of milt and roe in order to cross them. Their breeding cues would be different.

Back
Top Bottom