bolivian ram vs german blue ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i swim said:
Size difference?

which is more playful, curious and over all more fun to watch?

i know that german blues are more difficult to keep but im prepared!

i have heard GBR are more active? is this true? and is there such thing as long fin german blue rams?

Buy Live Long Fin Blue Ram Microgeophagus ramirezi

thanks!

There's not really much of a difference IMO, they all act the same...GBRs just seem to be more sensitive.

i have seen many bolivian rams but only some are very colorful while others are very dull. why is that?

I have 2 ggrs and they're very social fish not aggressive at all, sometimes you seem they aside with my bloodfins and serpaes

Bolivian rams in the pet store are often dull because they aren't being fed a high quality diet or are not very comfortable being crammed into a stock tank. Also if they are young they may not be totally colored up yet. Many fish don't show their truly vivid colors until they get into breeding mode.

jetajockey said:
Bolivian rams in the pet store are often dull because they aren't being fed a high quality diet or are not very comfortable being crammed into a stock tank. Also if they are young they may not be totally colored up yet. Many fish don't show their truly vivid colors until they get into breeding mode.

I think that applies to most fish at lfs

I'm planning on adding these guys to my tank as soon as I'm sure my tank is ready.
German Blue Rams that is.

Crew said:
I'm planning on adding these guys to my tank as soon as I'm sure my tank is ready.
German Blue Rams that is.

How many gallons is your tank?

here are a few pics of my blue rams. i've had them for about 7 months now. they are in a community tank and get along with all the other community fish. i do a 20% water change with ro water every 3rd day. also add seachem trace elements to water. i keep ph at 6.5. i feed 3 different foods. flake, pellet and live black worms. they also enjoy a few ghost shrimp occasionally. i think their color is very bright. almost like they are painted. they are very inquisitive fish. they come to the glass whenever they see me and will follow my finger on the glass. lots of fun. it's true they need constant care they are worth it imo. good luck

here are a few pics of my blue rams. i've had them for about 7 months now. they are in a community tank and get along with all the other community fish. i do a 20% water change with ro water every 3rd day. also add seachem trace elements to water. i keep ph at 6.5. i feed 3 different foods. flake, pellet and live black worms. they also enjoy a few ghost shrimp occasionally. i think their color is very bright. almost like they are painted. they are very inquisitive fish. they come to the glass whenever they see me and will follow my finger on the glass. lots of fun. it's true they need constant care they are worth it imo. good luck

wow! your bolivian is beautiful! do you know how many inches he is? and do you know what food you feed him exactly? like brand and stuff?

wow! your bolivian is beautiful! do you know how many inches he is? and do you know what food you feed him exactly? like brand and stuff?

well these are german blue rams. and yes i can give you that info.
live BLACK WORMS. NOT BLOOD WORMS you buy them in portions from the fish store. you need to keep them in a container in the refrigerator. they need to be rinsed in treated( prime or another water conditioner) water daily. you'll need a special net(one with very fine netting so the worms don't go through when you rinse them) also check and remove dead worms. all fish eat these and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them.

food: pellets-mini cichlid pellets by aqueon. feed one pellet at a time. the rams will come to you with their mouths open. lol

flake food-tropical flakes by pure aquatic. feed this to all fish. the rams like it too.

veggie flakes by omega one- all fish including rams

hikari tropical micro pellets by hikari - all fish

algae tabs drop a few in a couple times a week

my community fish include 2 german blue rams, 7 dwarf gouramis, 2 sailfin mollys, 3 glo fish, 3 x-ray tetras, and 2 south american bumblebee cat fish. my aquarium is 45 gals.

i think the most important thing is the water changes with ro (reverse osmosis) water. the ro water has a low ph which rams thrive in. my ro is at 6.5 which is ideal for rams. i buy mine at the grocery store. you can find these machines at a lot of grocery stores in my area. rams like fresh water and a 20% change every 3 days is not too much. it is a requirement imo. if i can help in any way i'd be glad to do it. good luck

Back
Top Bottom