Bolivian Rams Fighting???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got some new Bolivian Rams from my LFS (Local Fish Store). I tried picking out a male and female. So as they were in the bag they was inseparable. Well when I got done acclimating them they still said by each other, separated, and found each other and stayed by each other again. I went to bed that night and woke up to feed them. As I got done feeding them I started fighting, like charging at each other. Then they started grabbing at each others lips and fighting. Its been two days now, know more lip fighting but a little chasing after each other. From all the gender research I kind of believe that I have a male and female. Can any one tell me whats going on, I am really worried??? :eek:

Post a picture of each one so we can confirm you have a male and female. Or if they wont stand still long enough post a video.

This is what I think is the Female

Sent from my Z796C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1426450592383.jpg
    1426450592383.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 1426450611047.jpg
    1426450611047.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 100
This is what I think is the Male

Attachments

• 1426450700585.jpg
    1426450700585.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 1426450715713.jpg
    1426450715713.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 89
Can some one please help me

How big the tank? What's in it? Only good way to sex bolivians is venting or behavioral observation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big the tank? What's in it? Only good way to sex bolivians is venting or behavioral observation.

Its a 20 gallon tall....I have 3 otocinclus, I baby angelfish, and 3 platies

I really don't know a whole bunch about bolivians... one thing I'll throw out there.. don't take offense please.. they prefer Sandy bottoms, that unicorn puke could be totally stressing them out..

Also on the stress note, are you an experienced keeper? How long established is the tank? They require pristine conditions and aren't the easiest fish to keep by far. As to the aggression there could be many factors, but first make sure you can properly maintain them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also on the stress note, are you an experienced keeper? How long established is the tank? They require pristine conditions and aren't the easiest fish to keep by far. As to the aggression there could be many factors, but first make sure you can properly maintain them.

Bolivians are typically much easier on water parameters than blue Rams (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and much hardier. Pristine water conditions is an over exaggeration and they're actually a fairly easy fish to keep, given some attention to detail

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good info gecko. I'm just getting to reading up on the rams, really want to keep some. That's great to know, I was thinking the water quality applied to those as well. Thanks for the info.

Rams aren't difficult to take care of.. Just keep the temps a little higher then normal and don't let your nitrates get above 40ppm and youll be fine.

I have many types of rams in my vast tanks... I keep 1 german blue, and 3 electric blue rams with my 8 discus and 22 neons.. Temps are 84f and nitrates are usually 20 or lower..

My other rams in my 55g the temps are 80-82f and I only do a 80% water change once every maybe 2-3 weeks.. The only rams you really gatta care for more then others are the electric blue rams.

I have pretty much every type of fresh water fish you could have with my 8 fish tanks... I have 3 Beta tanks, my 30G tank is a n African cichlid tank, they aren't hard to keep.. Just get sand preferably aragonite to keep the PH high, keep the temps around 80f and plenty of hiding places.. My 44g tank is my south American cichlids.. my rams and discus.. My experience with discus is they are pretty easy to take care of as well, yea they require more water changes... but despite what people say they don't need to be at 0 nitrates... Mine have been fine in 10-30ppm nitrates.. And they don't need temps in the 86-88f range.. I found 82-84f to be a better medium..

My other tanks are just regular tetra/live bearer fish.. In fact I find Liverbearer fish like platies and mollies and guppies... To be harder to take care of then Discus, and other Cichlids...

Rams aren't difficult to take care of.. Just keep the temps a little higher then normal and don't let your nitrates get above 40ppm and youll be fine.

I have many types of rams in my vast tanks... I keep 1 german blue, and 3 electric blue rams with my 8 discus and 22 neons.. Temps are 84f and nitrates are usually 20 or lower..

My other rams in my 55g the temps are 80-82f and I only do a 80% water change once every maybe 2-3 weeks.. The only rams you really gatta care for more then others are the electric blue rams.

I have pretty much every type of fresh water fish you could have with my 8 fish tanks... I have 3 Beta tanks, my 30G tank is a n African cichlid tank, they aren't hard to keep.. Just get sand preferably aragonite to keep the PH high, keep the temps around 80f and plenty of hiding places.. My 44g tank is my south American cichlids.. my rams and discus.. My experience with discus is they are pretty easy to take care of as well, yea they require more water changes... but despite what people say they don't need to be at 0 nitrates... Mine have been fine in 10-30ppm nitrates.. And they don't need temps in the 86-88f range.. I found 82-84f to be a better medium..

My other tanks are just regular tetra/live bearer fish.. In fact I find Liverbearer fish like platies and mollies and guppies... To be harder to take care of then Discus, and other Cichlids...

Bolivian Rams are quite different from german blues...they don't require the higher temps. I'd also like to not that 40ppm nitrate is very high. Nitrates really shouldn't exceed 20 ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom