Bolivian vs German Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Title says it all, I'm considering getting a few for my tank. Which species, how many?
Thanks!

They are basically the same, which ever color and pattern you like! How large is your tank? If it's about 20, 2'will be fine.

They are basically the same, which ever color and pattern you like! How large is your tank? If it's about 20, 2'will be fine.

Bolivian get a lot bigger and have a different body shape. Also people say Bolivians are hardier. Personally they seemed the same. But my Gbr are way more aggressive. Bolivian rams and German blue rams are not the same fish like German blue rams and electric blue ram or gold rams. Those are all colour variants of the Gbr where the Bolivian is not

Also how big is your tank? I would most likely only get a pair for anything smaller then 40 gallons to make sure they have enough space when breeding.

I am debating the same thing... Swimming towards the bolivian as the temperature requirements suit my tank slightly more (currently 25 degrees)

If you have lots of cover I would say you could do two males maybe three. Just make sure the one isn't harassing one more then the other or you could get a pair and watch them breed.

I kinda want to get a pair, maybe two. However I am ordering online, will I be able to choose the gender?

I have both and both have their different personalities. It really depends on what else you want to stock and how dedicated you are to keeping the tank pristine (german blue rams are VERY sensitive whereas bolivians are not). Both are beautiful when cared for correctly and will give you years of enjoyment, but again, GBRs require a deeper commitment.

I feel like I'm leaning towards Bolivian Rams, as I do not yet have years and years of experience up my sleeve- yet! :) How do you sex Bolivian rams?

Also German blue rAms are not as sensitive as people think. There was actually a thread a few years back about how they were becoming hardier.

My electric blue and my Bolivian behaved the same in my 55. They took turns being the "bully" and trading handouts. Then at times they would just hang out right next to each other.

Is it OK for me to get 4 BR, 2 males 2 females? Would they become too aggressive??

Back
Top Bottom