Bolivian's and GBR's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Probably a stupid question, but can bolivians and GBR's interbreed?

While I was picking up some new starlight BNP's today the seller showed me his bolivian fry and gave 6 to me with my purchase of the starlights.
I've had my GBR's for about 3 months, so I know the basic's of their care, but not much about the Bolivian's other than they are supposed to be more hardy.
Right now I'm just going to assume that they will require the same care.

I'm also wondering if they grow to be a bit larger than GBR's? The 6 "fry" I got are just a hair smaller than my GBR's which I assume are breeding age because they are all colored up, and the females in breeding colors (bright pink stomachs), the bolivians look like they have absolutely no color on them yet, just some faint black stripes.

Can I sex them the same way as germans, pink on the stomachs of females, or is it more difficult.

Anything else I should know about them?

Currently, they are being housed in my new 29 gallon as QT, I'm debating on where to move them after QT is over.

Oh, last question. How bad is inbreeding with Bolivians? I know that with bettas, you can in/linebreed for up to 7 generations with no ill effects, but with guppies you shouldn't inbreed at all because there will generally be deformities by the 2nd generation. Basically just out of curiosity. I'll end up buying new blood for them to pair with eventually, but what if theres an accident and I don't know who is from what line.

Last edited:
Not sure about interbreeding, but I hope you have a large tank for once all those fry pair up!

Oh I have tons of of tanks, so that won't be an issue. Once they start pairing up, the pairs will be seperated. I only want to keep a pair for myself, maybe 2 if I get multiple pairs, the rest can go to new homes when it's all set.

Back
Top Bottom