Bottom feeder with cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougmatt21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any good ideas on a good bottom feeder compatible with african cichlids? Also im scared that it may choke on the sand substrate? Could that happen

Any good ideas on a good bottom feeder compatible with african cichlids? Also im scared that it may choke on the sand substrate? Could that happen

Most synodontis species work awesome. I have 3 Synodontis Multipunctatus, 1 Syndodontis Decorus, and 1 Synodontis Schoutedeni. They get along well. I have a 180 gallon tank. You should keep either 1 or 3+. 2 may fight. Synodontis Petricola, Njassae and Flavitaenatus work as well. Depending on how big your tank is you should keep in mind that they are nocturnal and will be active at night. You should have enough space to allow them to swim and not bother the cichlids that are not active at night. Decorus, Eupterus and some of the others get very large so you should do your research on the catfish first.
They are a great addition.

I have a 55g Malawi cichlid tank. I just have a common pleco for a bottom feeder. Cichlids(malawis atleast) are fairly clean/low waste producing fish, I doubt you'll have algae or water quality problems as long as you have a pleco, I didn't. Plecos are of the few bottom feeders which are armored enough not to get killed. Corys are too but theyre less good at cleaning glass and, being smaller, more likely to be eaten(unless of course you're keeping only small cichlids. The size of your tank should also play apart in what bottom feeder(s) you get.

I would recommend synodontis petricola (false cuckoo catfish). They are social so getting at least 3 would be good. I had one and got 2 more after finding that out from others here. With all 3, they are very active and swim about all the time. And they go nuts when some food makes it to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom