Boy or girl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
African boys have egg spots on their anal fins, south and central are almost impossible to tell.

African boys have egg spots on their anal fins, south and central are almost impossible to tell.

Your parially right on both answers, sometime female mbuna have eggs spots as well and only some CA/SA fish are monomorphic but the majority can be sexed visually without venting.

You are going to have to be more specific to get an answer. Honestly, it sounds like you need to figure out what kind of cichlid you're talking about getting before you go to the store to get it. Cichlids are such a broad range of fish, you might as well be asking how to sex fish in general.

I will post the type of cichlid when I get there and look at them.. How does that sound?

How to tell convicts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Convicts are getting harder to sex IMO due to all the inbreeding but generally females will have orange markings on the stomach area(males can to but no as common), the males will be larger in general and will have a extensions on their dorsal and anal fins(again so can females but not as common). Post some pictures if you can.

They guy picked me out a boy and girl. :)

I got cichlid gold by hikari. Medium pellets

This is a girl? I think?

Attachments

• image-3683027577.jpg
    image-3683027577.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom