Brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmckyfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do any of you do brackish water for your Cichlids? I run straight fresh water but have heard of some doing brackish water. Thoughts?

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are a limited number of cichlids that actually live in brackish water conditions and nearly all of them are not commonly seen, even chromides are quite uncommon

I have a cichlid that i moved from one tank to another and it was a light blue color. Now it has turned pale with yellow in its fins. What can i do to get its color back. the only changes between tanks are the tank that is in now has a kind of coral rock in it.

A pale color will be from stress. My guess is that this is some sort of mbuna, and NO mbuna is brackish as they are all from Lake Malawi

Lotsa people add salt to their cichlid tanks....by definition I dunno if it's technically brakish.

Definitely not brackish. This is a different kind of salt which adds trace minerals and electrolytes. Do you know the pH and what not of the tank you moved him/her from and then also to? If they parameters were different it would affect him/her until he/she adjusted.

She went from 7.8 to 8.2. Ben there for weeks with no improvement.

No I'm not sure but its about 6 months old

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, probably just changing colors. I think any fish they sell in a pet store should show what it will look like as an adult as some fish don't look anything like they do when they're young. Like the Tropheus Duboisi which when sold at a young age has all kinds of light blue dots all over and looks really cool but they lose all that and get a white or yellow band. It would help

Back
Top Bottom