Breeding and keeping Peacocks in Storage bins??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

An idea has struck me to potentially cure my want for more fish, despite the space and financial situation I am in.

I have been thinking about buying a 4 pack of 27 gallon storage totes. I know these specifically can hold water very well because they are very sturdy. I use one to hold my RO Water and there is no flimsiness whatsoever. Unfortunately, for my budget and quality they only have black for color instead of clear.

What I would do is install two HOB Filters on two of them, and then for the other two I would install sponge filters.

For the heating, I would get some 100 W Heaters. But will that melt the plastic?

For the lighting I would buy approximately 16 feet of LED Strip Lighting that is waterproof, and rig it so it will work with the set up.

Other than that, is there anything else I would need, or would this even work? The bins all come with lids if needed. I would like to breed some Lemon Jakes, Otter Points, and OB Peacocks in these. I would put one trio or a proven pair in each bin.

Thoughts, comments, or suggestions?? I really hope this could work. If you know of any other additional supplies that I would need, please do comment!!

Thanks!

UPDATE: I found a four pack of Clear Rubbermaid containers the same size (116 Quarts / 27 Gallons) for only a few bucks more.

So a lot of breeders use tubs, trash cans and even small pools. It happens. When possible try and find food safe.

Trash cans? Oh my, I can't even imagine what that would be like for the fish. I can guarentee that these tubs will be clean and safe for the fish and well-kept.

Would you recommend any substrate or rock/decor for the breeding? Or would you just keep it simple with water only?

Thanks for your reply!! :)

It's best to have 1 male with 3 or 4 females. Males can be very aggressive with the females.

In regards to the tank setup. No need for substrate but a few rocks would be good to provide hiding places for the females when needed. And females usually lay the eggs on a large flat rock.

Back
Top Bottom