Breeding cichilds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's one thing to feel demoralized about the hybrid situation, it's another to pile on with the "can't beat them, join them" and start selling them. It sounds like you have a little too much wonder in your eyes about the frankenfish that can possibly be created. Trying to think up cool sounding names and the like.

Trolling detected, Moving along

Im not doing the old "if you cant beat em join em" and I said I wasn't going to say it. You people attack others who AGREE WITH YOU AFTER YOU PROVED YOUR POINT. And prove to be no better than the people your against. You are willing to kill life, to keep it pure. What about tiger muskies, what about pumpkin seed, what about ligers? There a hybrid, no one complains everyone thinks they are "beautiful and majestic". What about ob peackocks? What about dragonbloods? Flowerhorns? Only few people hate these fish and for no reason. Just because they are an abomination to their species. Think about if you thought people were the same. Saying to kill the fry absolutely broke my heart to think you would rather destroy life, than take a risk into trying something new. I have decided to keep one male of this new species, and leave the rest in the tank.

Im not doing the old "if you cant beat em join em" and I said I wasn't going to say it. You people attack others who AGREE WITH YOU AFTER YOU PROVED YOUR POINT. And prove to be no better than the people your against. You are willing to kill life, to keep it pure. What about tiger muskies, what about pumpkin seed, what about ligers? There a hybrid, no one complains everyone thinks they are "beautiful and majestic". What about ob peackocks? What about dragonbloods? Flowerhorns? Only few people hate these fish and for no reason. Just because they are an abomination to their species. Think about if you thought people were the same. Saying to kill the fry absolutely broke my heart to think you would rather destroy life, than take a risk into trying something new. I have decided to keep one male of this new species, and leave the rest in the tank.

Never said you couldnt keep em. Im pretty sure ob peacocks are color morphs but i dont know a lot about africans. I do not like flowerhorns either. Also, most people dont have a problem with things like ligers because they dont happen in the wild and there are not a lot of them. There are so many hybrids in the fish hobby that its not "pure" nor hard to fall victim to getting a hybrid when you didnt want one. I dont even know what dragonbloods are.

Google them. They are a gorgeous fish. Its known as a dragon blood peacock or strawberry peacock.

But anyway. What we are trying to get at is hybrids are bad. The majority of people that buy hybrids are beginners that dont know what there doing yet. Unless there the flowerhorn breeders (ugh). I got sold a hybrid once and got rid of it asap. The more experienced hobbyists stay away from them and try to discourage them. Everyone is only being hard on you because there are people all the time going on about selling them and everything. And the others are probably tired of having to keep on telling people hybrids are BAD.

I am not a fan of hybrids in nearly ANY situation. Ligers, like you mentioned, are horribly deformed and lose the ability to stop growing at the correct size, producing a behemoth creature that struggles to live.

I do NOT stand by the sale of OBs, dragonbloods, red texas, flowerhorns, blood parrots, ANY of them. They are indeed abominations and should be culled to prevent the muddying of gene pools of fish that deserve to be in the hobby. I NEVER said to kill the fry. I said to leave them in the main tank and they would be eaten. Responsibilities like this come with the hobby, to provide the true species for generations to come

Just please keep them in the main tank. I completely know what you are feeling. I just had it a few months ago, and i felt bad, but i had to get rid of them. Its just overall for the best. Plus, at least my LFS won't take or stock hybrids at all. You may find it hard to even try to get rid of them. Its just easier to keep them in the main tank and let nature take its course.

People have strong opinions on this subject like religion and politics, everyone is entitled to their opinion people's problem with it is it simply does not happen in the wild and mucks up pure genetic lines!
Just keep some for yourself... And switch to an all male tank and you don't have to worry about interbreeding :)

Do what I did I had a blue zebra and a maingeno breed and I kept one to see what it looked like and this is what came out. I understand not selling them because I've gotten duped into buying 2 other hybrids one I still have and the other died. Both were eye sores. So if u do get hybrids keep em for you.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130807_172254.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_172254.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20130807_172642.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_172642.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 62
Do what I did I had a blue zebra and a maingeno breed and I kept one to see what it looked like and this is what came out. I understand not selling them because I've gotten duped into buying 2 other hybrids one I still have and the other died. Both were eye sores. So if u do get hybrids keep em for you.

Thats a cool fish, I love the pattern

I had 7 Kenyi/Demasoni fry. I gave 5 away to a friend that promised to never sell them and I still have 2 for myself. I'm trying to find what to do with the other two because they're getting pretty big. Tbh, they will probably be piranha food. It broke my heart to get rid of them, but it's necessary. Please note that this is a beautiful hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom