Breeding German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To answer your question. Yes. I started breeding German blue's in November.
and have had some success. Getting them to breed is in my experience, rather easy. As long as you have a happy pair then all you really need to do is this.

keep the tank temp at 80F. Feed them more often. I do small feedings at least twice a day three is better I think but twice works. I have found that having small pieces of slate or any smooth flat rock in the tank helps because it gives your pair more choices of nest sites. that said, my rams have laid eggs on every thing from plants to small depressions they make in the substrate. I also suggest doing small water changes of 10 to 20 percent twice a week. The key to the water changes is that the water being added needs to be 2 to 3 degrees lower than the tank temp. this is important because it mimics the natural rainy season for the rams and helps to induce spawning. Now, here's the hard part of breeding rams. The survival rate of the fry. This is due to the fact the feeding them is hard because the new fry are so small! the size of a pinhead. there are different methods and opinions on what works for fry food. there is alot of info on the web on that topic.

Hope this helps ya!!

Back
Top Bottom