Breeding Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cich4cichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think my two oscars may be a breeding pair. But is it possible if one is 12" and the other is 6"? They jaw lock and bump each other now and again but they both hover together around a flat rainbow rock I have and they both "chew it" they look like plecos sucking on it. Is this normal breeding behavior?

I think my two oscars may be a breeding pair. But is it possible if one is 12" and the other is 6"? They jaw lock and bump each other now and again but they both hover together around a flat rainbow rock I have and they both "chew it" they look like plecos sucking on it. Is this normal breeding behavior?

Nope, what you are seeing is aggression. Oscars don't sexually mature until they are around 18months which in size will be at least 9" but in reality will be around 10-12".

What size tank are they currently in?

It's a minor jaw lock or bump on occassion. There is never really a chase or a long battle.

My pair beat the living heck out of each other when it's time to breed. Every oscar I've owned played rough with each other, between the lip locking,tail slapping and minor chasing all is good. Just monitor it because if they are both males and the smaller one matures then look out because one will get hurt or killed.

Then what are they doing when they like swim completely vertical over the rock and bte at it.

Hey good news (I think)! I think it was breeding behavior, because one of the oscars laid eggs.

What color are the eggs? If they are white then they are unfertilized, if they are yellow it means they are. Just because one laid eggs doesn't mean the other is a male. I've seen plenty of female oscars who have "paired" only to never have fertilized eggs. I wish you luck but the odds in a breeding pair of oscars randomly from 2 is very rare.

The second issue is the six inch fish is not sexually mature yet, they don't reach puperty until around the 9-10" range.

But at least it's not two males right?

I got rid of the eggs and now the Oscars have calmed down. I'm still keeping an eye
out for really ba aggression just in case.

I'm sure the big one is a female and if the smaller one is a male there is a chance he wil be killed if she wants to spawn and he's not ready or able. Keep a close eye on them over the next few months. Good luck as my pair get fry 3-4 times per year with around 700 eggs each time.

Back
Top Bottom