breeding pair question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a breeding pair of Mainganos in the 125 gallon. She has found her little cave and has been in it for the past 5 days, she's holding, and not eating. This is my first go around with a breeding pair so I'm not sure how to go about this.

1. Should I remove her from the tank?

2. If so, put her in my hospital/quarantine tank or one of my other cichlid tanks? (Reason I'm asking is because when I've seen her try to come out, the male harrasses her endlessly)

3. At what point should I remove her if I need to?

Please help!!

kelbaker79 said:
I have a breeding pair of Mainganos in the 125 gallon. She has found her little cave and has been in it for the past 5 days, she's holding, and not eating. This is my first go around with a breeding pair so I'm not sure how to go about this.

1. Should I remove her from the tank?

2. If so, put her in my hospital/quarantine tank or one of my other cichlid tanks? (Reason I'm asking is because when I've seen her try to come out, the male harrasses her endlessly)

3. At what point should I remove her if I need to?

Please help!!

Do you only have 2 maingano in there?

Yes, they have been fine up until now, added them 1-2 months ago. There are 16 other cichlids in with them as well, with lots of hiding spots....so I'm confused?

I realize the approx 1m-3,4f...but wouldn't he have harrassed her before now?

Prior to her mouthbrooding she would have been receptive to his spawning attempts or spawning-related displays. Now that's she's holding she's no longer interested which is resulting in the recent harassment you've been seeing (which is why multiple females per male is highly recommended). If other female maingano's were in the tank he'd lose interest in this one (which means less stress).

Incidently, your 'breeding pair' of maingano's is a "pair" only in the numerical sense. By nature they're polygamous breeders.

for the time being if she is being harrassed, remove her to an available tank. if she is ok, leave her until u can actually see fry in her mouth, then move her and strip in 5 furthur days if u choose to do so.
also, maybe you should get some more maingano females for the male as yes they are polygamous xx

Red I agree, I will get more females. One more question, should I move her to one of my other cichlid tanks or a 10 gallon hospital tank? My 25 hosp. Is already in use...

Thank you SO much for all the advice!

a ten gallon hospital since this is best for the babies to not get eaten.
the point of taking her out is to save the babies.
is it ok to move her now?

will u strip her? x

Ok. And I don't know how? Seen it done before but I'm new. Lol. I can try, I want to learn and have experience but I don't know if I should if I don't know what I'm doing exactly. I'm a perfectionest, I have to know what I'm going :)

heres my instructions, worked for me:
1) set up a breeder net/box or separate tank for fry
2) catch the fish using 1 or 2 nets and create as little stress as possible.
3) put in the tank/net (lets say net?). give her 10mins in the dark to settle
4) gently corner her in the net, catch her softly but firmly (using your left hand if ur right handed or vice-versa)
5) keeping a light grip on her, angle her downwards while keeping her in the water. use a hairgrip/paperclip/long fingernail etc to gently lower her lip.
6) let the babies fall out into the net, then shake her a little to encourage more out.
7) check her mouth to see if any more babies - if yes, keep going, if no, stop.
8)when shes finished, put her in the main tank or in a breeder net to feed her up and recover her.

helpful? x

np good luck! imo stripping is the best way to get all the babies, but one day i will have a female and just watch her spit or dribble a baby every so often :)

Back
Top Bottom