Breeding yellow lab with white lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masai

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have seen a few websites that say do not breeed between different species of cichilds. I had 2 yellow lab cichilds 1 male and 1 female but they did not really take much intrest in each other. But as soon as i added a white lab male it is like a firework display in the tank the white lab constantly chases the female yellow lab and occasionally vis versa.

Is this a good thing and how will i know if the yellow lab is pregnant and what to do next. By the way the male yellow lab has become very shy after introducing the white lab and has started to swim at an angle sometimes it is flat on the surface for like 10 seconds.

My aquarium is a 60l tank

Tank size is abt 60l. the tank i have a gold fish, a cat fish, and a whitefish with long whiskers/antenea. Forgot the name if you remember please post.

Welcome to AA!

With that said you have some serious issues with your tank, being completely over stocked with imcopatable fish in to small of a tank.

First what your seeing in your African cichlids is aggression having two males with one female is a surefire way to get your female killed. How are you sure they are make/female? The one that's being shy is showing signs of being bullied, vertical swimming is like trying to hide. Second they have no business living in a 15g tank, these fish are aggressive and require a minimum of a 4ft tank, due to territorial issues and swimming space. Last when a large enough tank is purchased they should be stocked at a ratio of 1m to every 4-5 females. With your question to hybrids is that most people frown upon them since they weaken that strain of fish, with possible health and behavior issues. I for one really don't care if someone has hybrids and long as they're not being sold into retail and they stay at your house.

Next is that swimming poop machine the goldfish, they are a coldwater fish who also require a larger tank with depending on species 30g at the minimum if they're alone. They also have a different diet needs over the mbuna.

Last would be your catfish, I'm not sure of it's a Pictus or something else but my gut feeling is it probably doesn't belong theri either.

I'm sorry but not a single one of those fish belong where they are, your asking for trouble between aggression, fish health, and water quality. My best advice is to return all the fish and buy some small tropicals. This will give you time to research your fish selections and maybe purchase a much much larger tank.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise. But returning the fish back is not very likely plus the aquarium shop where o bought the fish and tank do not really have many types if fish. Mostly it is the fish in this tank.

Currently all is well and what do you suggest about the breeding between white and yellow lab and size of rank

For the fishes sake listen to Hukit, if your LFS won't take them then find people locally that will. As far as breeding goes they won't for 2 reasons, the tank is to small and if those fish fit in a 60lt chances are the fish aren't sexually mature. Also if by some chance they do breed there will be no room for the fry to hide/grow.

Not trying at all to be rude, so please don't take it that way... but breeding these fish should be the last thing on your mind. Getting suitable tanks (since they don't belong together) would be my first priority. I'm in agreement with HUKIT as well.

Ok then if i remove the mbunas/ yellow lab what else should remain in there or what should not.

I am kinda new to this, what would be ideal to put in a 60l tank.

I hate to say it but none of the fish you listed are suitable in a small tank. The gourami can stay for a while depending on size and I'm not sure what kind of catfish you have but long term I don't see anything working. Small tanks are tough to stock, I realize when you go to the store and see the the fish when small but you need to research your selections prior to purchase. Now your here so that's a great start!

Then what do you advise to put in there. I just bought the aquarium i want to have something in it atleast.

If i was to buy a new tank what would be an ideal size to put a wide variety of fish. E.g the type of fish in my (flop) tank.

This is the catfish and that is my aquarium

Note: the plants are fake

Attachments

• image-1081916062.jpg
    image-1081916062.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 199
  • image-3678826095.jpg
    image-3678826095.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 203
Stocking a aquarium does not work that way with any kind of success. When choosing fish there needs to attention to water temp, diet , habitat, and aggression, since like people every species is differnet. You have to research these things and not just go pick out a bunch of fish and hope for the best. My best advice is rehome the fish and spend some time researching small fish. You won't succeed by just buying a bigger tank, as that's just delaying the inevitable

Then what do you advise to put in there. I just bought the aquarium i want to have something in it atleast.

If i was to buy a new tank what would be an ideal size to put a wide variety of fish. E.g the type of fish in my (flop) tank.

Welcome to AA, It's not always bad news I promise. The people here on AA will get you and your tank up and running perfectly. Your just off to a bumpy start because of bad advice from your LFS (local fish store).
Your not alone in that, if I had a penny for every time someone got it trouble with their tank and/or fish because of crappy advice from the FS. I'd be a very wealthy women.

Now, not to add to the negative here but if you just got your tank, did you cycle it first? Or did your LFS tell you to let it run for 24 hours and then add fish?

Yes i did do that and after 4 weeks i have changed the water and filter. Claned the stones and plants plus the neccesary chemicals was put in.

Hukit has experience in fish keeping and we all know that so I can't say anything better then he has said already.

My advice will be, cichlids needs big tank for sure cos of they grow big or either their aggression issues so hiding space is must have for them. Why don't you buy some guppies mollies and get them going and mean while research on fish and fish keeping. Once you learn from the mistake you made from keeping guppies mollies etc you will be okay to consider for a bigger tank and cichlids if you have time and money.
Guppies will breed for you so will mollies first try to save those fry get experience from that then once you move to cichlids you will have good idea what to do.

I hope my advice won't hurt you in any way and guys if I'm wrong please do correct me.

It does not hurt me at all infact i welcome any advice, tips, tricks or clues anyone has to offer

You have a lot of stocking options for that tank. Just not with a lot of cichlids. About the only cichlids I could suggest would be shell dwelling cichlids like Brevis, Multis, and Occies. You could go a different direction and do a small community with a dwarf gourami, some tetras, smaller cories (pygmy, peppered), guppies, endlers, the list goes on. Any of those interest you?

I've never been to interested in small tropical fish so I don't much stocking advice. But there are alot of options with a little time on the computer, plus MFDRookie gave some good places to start.

masai said:
I will check them out and see what i can do

Also if you need tanks buy it super cheap on craigslist they usually the whole setup for very affordable price

Back
Top Bottom