Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brichardi?

Anyone with any experience with brichardi cichlids? I'm looking into having 1-2 in a 10-20 gallon as a species only tank.

I'm aware they're "colony" type breeders and am hoping to avoid them breeding by getting 2 males only, or 2 females only. I'm not sure if the males would kill each other though. I'm also unsure of how they breed, as a couple of articles I read said that just because you have a male/female won't always ensure breeding success (which I'm trying to avoid) so I'm unsure if I'd be fine with a male/female since they aren't 100% going to breed.

Looking for any experiences/opinions to my questions or just to brichardi in general.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't think I'd try 2 males but 2 females could possibly work in a 20g long. They are fairly plain looking fish and for me the interesting aspect was their breeding and fry rearing techniques, which is one of their most interesting traits without that I'd personally look into another species.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Which genus of bricardi are we talking about? There are several different genuses with the same species name and some are much more suited to a 20 gallon then others. If you're talking about N. bricardi which is the most common in the aquarium trade, two of either sex are going to get too big for a 20 gallon tank. Males would definitely kill each other, and I believe you would aggression issues with the females as well in that small of a tank. Like HUKIT said, if you are limited to a 20 gallon I'd look at a different fish.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hm, thanks for your opinions. I think I'll put these off for now and look in another direction.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com