Brichardi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone with any experience with brichardi cichlids? I'm looking into having 1-2 in a 10-20 gallon as a species only tank.

I'm aware they're "colony" type breeders and am hoping to avoid them breeding by getting 2 males only, or 2 females only. I'm not sure if the males would kill each other though. I'm also unsure of how they breed, as a couple of articles I read said that just because you have a male/female won't always ensure breeding success (which I'm trying to avoid) so I'm unsure if I'd be fine with a male/female since they aren't 100% going to breed.

Looking for any experiences/opinions to my questions or just to brichardi in general.

I don't think I'd try 2 males but 2 females could possibly work in a 20g long. They are fairly plain looking fish and for me the interesting aspect was their breeding and fry rearing techniques, which is one of their most interesting traits without that I'd personally look into another species.

Last edited:
Which genus of bricardi are we talking about? There are several different genuses with the same species name and some are much more suited to a 20 gallon then others. If you're talking about N. bricardi which is the most common in the aquarium trade, two of either sex are going to get too big for a 20 gallon tank. Males would definitely kill each other, and I believe you would aggression issues with the females as well in that small of a tank. Like HUKIT said, if you are limited to a 20 gallon I'd look at a different fish.

Hm, thanks for your opinions. I think I'll put these off for now and look in another direction.

Back
Top Bottom