Broken filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babytiger23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and thought I'd use it as I have a problem that I'm concerned about. Basically yesterday once I'd cleaned my tank at 50% water change I noticed straight away that my filter had broke,so the next day I went to my LFS and purchased a new one which I installed to my tank. A full day has gone by and my water seems to be dirty and cloudy. It's very frustrating considering in over a year that I've had my tank and no problems have occurred and now this.
Can someone help me please? Thank you

Not an expert, so I am just taking a guess here. The water could be cloudy due to the fact that your new filter hasn't built up enough beneficial bacterial to clean the water. If you still have the old fiter it may be beneficial to take some of the media from the old one and transfer into the new one if they compatible.

I agree, you certainly may be going through a mini-cycle if you didn't switch over the media from the old filter. I would monitor your water conditions very closely over the next week, and perform water changes as needed you see a spike in ammonia or nitrites.

If you are using new filter media, then your new filter does not have the colony of beneficial bacteria, so you may be in the process of starting a new cycle. Test your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates. As Vitacrux just mentioned, if you still have the old filter media, ... put some of those in with your new filter to help repopulate the beneficial bacteria.

Cheers guys for your help and support,I actually forgot to mention that when I said filter I meant the actual motor. Sorry I should have said in my previous message. Would it still be the case that I'm going through a mini cycle?

Babytiger23 said:
Cheers guys for your help and support,I actually forgot to mention that when I said filter I meant the actual motor. Sorry I should have said in my previous message. Would it still be the case that I'm going through a mini cycle?

So you are using the old media still and only replaced the power head? I would check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates anyway just to make sure. Do you know how long the powerhead was not working for?

Back
Top Bottom