Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
Out of nowhere I've been getting a bunch of brown algae in my lake T Shelly tank. The tank is cycled and has not had this or quite some time. Are there preventative measures I can take or is it going to be reactive from here on out?

I have recently had this in my tank however it was a new set up an the lfs said could be due to silicates in my tap water ??

It could be Diatoms, which is common problem with newly cycled aquariums. Make sure you also keep Nitrate below 20 ppm

Actually diatoms are caused by excess silicates in water. They will eventually go away in time but in non-planted tanks you can use phosphate remover in your filter, as phosphate remover also removes silicates.

Diatom's bodies are made of silicates. Silicates don't create Diatoms. There is no need to use additives in your filter or your tank.

Diatom's bodies are made of silicates. Silicates don't create Diatoms. There is no need to use additives in your filter or your tank.

Actually diatoms outer shell is composed of silica and they extract soluable silicates from the water for the buildup of their particulate silica skeletal structure. As I said they will eventually go away on their own unless ones tap water is very high in silicates but as an option one can use phosphate remover to remove excess silicates if desired.

Could I just add some plants? I generally prefer not adding chemicals.

Could I just add some plants? I generally prefer not adding chemicals.

Plants won't remove silicates from the water but eventually with time they will normally disappear on their own. Just keep nitrates and phosphates low with good WC's and give them time.

Back
Top Bottom