Brown algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jllarrea

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone! So I haven't been in here as often anymore because I had I take my fish to my mothers home so she can "fish-sit" for me since I'm not allowed to have them at my apartment. So now that my 55g is at my mom's house I have noticed that there is this brown stuff growing on the glass and heater and pretty much anywhere it can attach itself to. I go over and clean once a week and it grows again and again. Everything is the same as before except they're in a 55 instead of a 30 gallon tank. They have a National Geographic led light and it's on for about 8 hours per day. They do get a little bit of indirect sunlight. Is there anything I can do to prevent this stuff? The parameters are good. Nitrate:10 Nitrite: 0 Ammonia:0 PH: 8 and temp is 80 degrees F.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recently tried the Marineland Algae Control. It's a clear gellish liquid in an orange bottle. Worked really well for me. One dose takes care if it.

The current tank has only been set up for like 6 weeks. The filter that is in that tank had been running for about 4 months prior to putting it in the 55 gallon. I had the fish in a 29g prior to moving them to the 55g and I never had any issues with this stuff.

I have a 45 gallon, and had brown algae, so I got a rubber nose pleco, and he ignored it, so I tried holding algae wafers a day, and low and behold the algae disappeared over night.

There are a lot of horror stories with the algae chemicals ...

Sounds like diatoms, especially if the tank is newer. Otos are amazing at clearing away huge patches overnight. And they're so tiny they don't add much to bioload.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Diatoms are a self limiting algae. They usually wear themselves out after a time and are very common in newer tanks. There might be silicates in the new water supply feeding them though, especially if the new water source is well water.

Back
Top Bottom